Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by nscaletrainkid, Jan 29, 2005.

1. nscaletrainkid

nscaletrainkid New Member

I was wondering, does anyone out there have an engine that they could spare. My brother just recently broke my engine that i had gotten for my birthday and it was the only one i had. im not talking about a big, nice, exspensive one, just one to hold me over until i save up enough money to get me a nice one, (i hope :(). my parents tpld me "if you break it, you arent getting another one", so thats why i am asking. Please and thank you

2. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

How is it broken???

Hey Train Kid,

I don't have any N-scale stuff, but...

How is the loco broken???

Maybe we can help you to fix it.

Maybe even better than new.

And you'll learn some stuff that will help to do repairs in the future.

If it's just a broken coupler, or loose wires. It might be easier to fix than you think.
  3. nscaletrainkid

well, my little brother droppped it off the table, and the little motor inside broke, the spinning rod in the middle came out
  4. TinGoat

Do you have the manual

Hi Train Kid,

Here's a couple of ideas...

Do you still have the manual that came with the train set?

Or do you know who made the locomotive?

The manual will/should have a diagram of how everything goes together.

You might need some tools, like a set of jeweler's screw drivers. You can get these at a hardware store, or hobby shop.

Sometimes a dollar store will have a cheap set of jeweler's screwdrivers. Or a drug store will have an Eye-glasses repair kit that has tiny screwdrivers.

This would be a good addition to your model train tool box.

Anyway, you might have to take the locomotive apart a little bit to put it back together.

It sounds strange, but it is better than trying to force things back together.

If you have a hobby store that you can go to, they might help you to fix the locomotive for free. And help teach you how to do it.

Also, try to find a model train club in your area. They might allow you to join as a junior member. And it is a great place to learn all sorts of model railroad stuff for repairing and maintaining all of your stuff.

A Hobby store can help you find a train club. And if the Hobby store is a good one, they will help you to learn too...

We can help you here at the Gauge, but it's sometimes hard to do, if we can't see what needs to be done.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps...

It's Saturday night, and I'm heading out, but I'll check in later tomorrow to see how things are going...
  5. nscaletrainkid

OK, i'll see if my father will take me out to find one and a he more than likely has a set of tools. He has tools everywhere in the garage.
  6. sams

sams Member

its a great idea to try your hand at fixing the loco.
    trust me, just about everything is fixable...
    just keep some basic tools handy.
    (oh, jeweler's screwdrivers....same as precision screwdrivers...the really tiny ones)
    also, work in a clean well lit space.
    since the parts are small...they're easy to lose.
    don't forget to find out the loco model and manufacturer.
    someone here will probably be able to help you with taking it apart and putting it together.
    if you can, post a'll be much easier to see what is wrong, and help you.
  7. TinGoat

Hi Train Kid,

I forgot about the Dad factor, since I'm all growed up... :)

Maybe he can help you with fixing the locomotive. And help you find some more tools.

Maybe he would like to work on the trains too. It's a great thing for parents and kids to do together.

Tweezers are another thing to add to your tool box, along with some small needle nose plyers.

Some other great tools are "How-to" books.

Like: "Maintaining and Repairing Your Scale Model Trains (Model Railroader)"
    by Jim Volhard

A big book store, or hobby shop should have this book and some others.

Or you can Google for this book or some other books on how to repair and maintain your model trains and how to build more stuff for your trains...
  8. TinGoat

Hi Train Kid,

How about an update...

Any luck with repairs?
  9. hswn

hswn Member

Might I advice that if you are going to try to repair this loco. Which I would encourage you to do, you can only learn from it.
    Before you start taking it apart. Find a shallow tray to set on the table or desk where you are working on it. Work inside this tray it will help contain those little parts that will want to roll away.
    I started taking N scale locos apart when I was about 11 years old.
  10. tillsbury

tillsbury Member

When do you think you might have them back together again? ;-)

11. sams

sams Member

i was just reading over your posts again...
    and it seems to me you have the b'mann 4-4-0.
    prarie flyer set? frontiersman? old timer?
    boy...i know this is late...
    but did you find the spinning rod?
    look for it...
    if so, it wouldn't be too hard to put it back in.
    i've had it come out once too.
    i'm not sure by your assessment that the motor is broke on the inside.
    have you taken it apart to confirm this?
    can't see how to know this without doing so.
    i suspect it maybe something on the outside instead.
    maybe contact wipers/springs that conduct the current to the motor.
    this also shouldn't be a difficult fix.
    if you can, post pics...
    i or someone here will be able to help you out.
    also, if it is b'mann...they have a great warranty policy.
    look over the warranty card to see if you're covered, or contact them to see how much it will be to repair.
  12. hswn

hswn Member

Oh I do put them together sometimes. To be honest some of the older ones (I started in N scale in 1971) aren't worth putting back together, however they do sometimes come in good for parts or kitbashing.
    I had to laugh when I seen your response to my message. I had it coming.