Help with X-wing

Sep 23, 2007
Kansas
www.tigerseyemedia.com
Dear members I am building an x-wing from zen papercraft and I have run into a problem. I never used to have this problem but with the medical problems I have had I can't seem to get the paper tubes to roll up for the laser cannons.
Are there some tips or tricks that maybe I am not aware of that could possibly help with this issue? I am open to any advice as you may be the one to save this project from the brink of the file 13.

Thanks
KnightStalker

Z

Zathros

Find a plastic straw, cut it along it's length and tape it back to the diameter you wish. you could then use this "plastic straw, by inserting a just glued piece of paper and sticking into the plastic straw let it dry in there. When done, pull or push it out, cut to length. Your tube will be ready to use, and you can then make another one. You will have a tube factory. :)

F131

F131
Mar 27, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Rap regular paper (no cardstock) around a q-tip, sucker stick, chopstick or straw till you get the right diameter. Then cut/saw the proper length.

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
I was going to suggest brass tube. It comes in telescoping sizes and you just roll an exacto against it until it gets a reasonably deep score line and then break it. A little filing, and you slide the tubes together and glue with superglue. Bam: perfectly round part, every time.

Sep 23, 2007
Kansas
www.tigerseyemedia.com
That's a great idea also, but Plastic would be cheaper wouldn't it? I would still have to wrap the paper around it but would be easier in the long run. I will see what I can do. Here are some pictures of the build so far Including a pic of those evil tubes. I downloaded it from http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/zen/P_Craft/XWing2_Download.html . It is enlarged from the 1/48 scale to 1/30 scale, with my diabetes slowly taking my eyesight I need to build as big as my printer will allow so I can see the parts.

Attachments

• DSCF1134.jpg
    DSCF1134.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF1135.jpg
    DSCF1135.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF1139.jpg
    DSCF1139.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF1140.JPG
    DSCF1140.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1141.jpg
    DSCF1141.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 11

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
Only by a few cents, and plastic tubes are thicker and less realistic. Brass is light, easy to cut, relatively inexpensive, and is readily available in the quantities you need. I did the cannons on my pl*stic X-wing with it:

DSC06614.jpg

You might even prefer aluminum tubes to brass. It's about as light as paper in this size range and cuts like butter.

You would probably want to paint the cannons rather than wrapping them in paper. This will ensure a seamless barrel and a nicer finish.

Z

Zathros

I do have one suggestion about your paper tubes, it looks like you are trying to roll them and join at the ends. I find that method nearly impossible. I would go around the mandrel (stick, tube etc) at least 6 times pushing a little glue the whole way and you will end up with a solid, strong tube.

Z

Zathros

Once you make the tube, you can glue the printed piece on it, just make sure you make the tube a wee bit smaller so the printed part will fit. Also, if you go around enough, when it dries, you will be able to sand out the line and have a smooth tube. :)

Z

Zathros

We aims to please!!! Your model is coming out awesome , in case I didn't mention that.:thumb:

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
Another suggestion for doing paper *rods* is to roll a piece of paper as tightly as you can and continue rolling it until it's at the diameter you want, then unroll it and cut the cannon body with this as your template. It gets a practically perfect rod which will be very durable.