help with wiring a wye with manual switch throws

Puckeringswine

How should I do it? I have a wye from the mainline to a lengthy branch line. I do not plan to put switch machines on the turnouts. So my question is how, and Wye?

Gary Pfeil

I assume you will be using DCC? The type throw used for the turnouts really doesn't matter. Assuming you know how to properly wire the turnouts of your choice, you only need to add a reversing unit to your wye. I would make the branchline the reverse block. It would start at the wye turnout which leads from the branch to either direction of the mainline. It would include that turnout! Both rails of both diverging routes of that turnout need to be gapped. The bus wire for the branch would come off the output of the reverse unit. Depending on how complex the branch is, you may not want to make the entire branch the reverse block. But unless you have another reverse block somewhere on the branch, making the entire branch a reverse block is not a problem. You could of course just make the reverse block a train length long. Remember that metal wheel sets crossing the gaps at one end while others are crossing at the other end will cause minor shorts which will interupt the running of all trains in that power district.