Help with Soviet Colours

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shrike, Mar 15, 2005.

1. shrike

shrike Guest

Does anyone have any colour referrence materials for Soviet aircraft from BEFORE the Great Patriotic War? I'm looking specifically for colours in common usage around 1930-32.

The infamous "tractor green" is the earliest colour I can find otherwise. That might be the proper one, but any input would be quite helpful.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Shrike,

I know this probably isnt what you are looking for, but here are nine (9) pages of thumbnail pics which you can enlarge of soviet aircraft present day to "who knows how far back". I didnt search for "JANES", but JANES DEFENSE WEEKLY publishes all sorts of books with nose art, and other pictures of the worlds aircraft, I have one of their "pocket guide to the worlds air forces) but its all modern aircraft. But you might check them out or go to a book store, they may carry books of this nature. Anyway, here is the first page of 9 of russian aircraft:

hope it is of some help to you.
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

4. dk

dk New Member

5. Boris

Boris Member

Hi !
    There's one little problem .
    The thing is that there wasn't a one standard colour . Only the factory colors , so in this way the aircrafts built on different factories usually had different shades .More, while in service, the color fo the aircraft depended on what shade the sergeant major managed to get :) and if he managed to get armour green , so planes flew painted in armour green .
  6. shrike

shrike Guest

Thanks all. Looks like the generic dull green over vivid sky blue was in common use then. I'm working from b&w (often heavily retouched) photos and I wanted to avoid glaring errors like USAAC aircraft where in a fairly short period of time you had all green, green with orange wings, blue with orange wings and all silver.

Boris - point taken about colour variation. I recall in my own unit the beer coolers that were painted to 100% proper specification, but still managed to look wrong.<G>

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Hey Guys,

Along the same lines, but possibly a "tangient" , remember seeing pics of old fokker aircraft....... the tri plane in red and white, others in multi colored camo, and I mean multi-colored like colors you wouldnt normally find in the skies or in a field? lavender, black, white, red, blue, etc.
    I know some were painted camo on purpose, but I think alot of pilots painted their planes with the paint they could easily find also. Of course I am speaking of wwI aircraft, but thats only 13 yrs before the time frame we are talking about above.
    The bright blood red of the tri plane serves no military purpose (other than intimidation if other pilots knew who was flying them) and some of the camo patterns with strange colors couldnt possibly "hide" an aircraft.
    I wonder if it was intended to be like the "dazzler" paint schemes on ships of that era? just to break up the outline of the plane, not really "hide" it. To get some idea of the patterns i am talking about, see these pics
    Anyway, just thought I would invest two more cents worth in this thread lol.

8. shrike

shrike Guest

The really brightly coloured aircraft served at least three legitimate military purposes.

It improved morale, both of the pilots and crews as well as the troops on the ground who could be entertained in the trenches at least.
    It served to positively identify members of your own squadron (knowing that Uwe, in the blue striped airplane, tends to fly left-handed circles when in trouble lets you help him) .

It could intimidate the enemy. Richtofen often gave his bright red aircraft to the junior member of the flight while flying another. This gave the junior a better chance of survival.

The hexagonal patches, known as 'Lozenge' were actually printed on the fabric and came in several variations. This fabric was also used for the various reinforcing tapes used in covering the airplane, so there should be a 50mm or so mis-matched stripe over each rib and around the tips of the surfaces.

Lavender is actually a wonderful camo colour. The USAAC used purples in their camo experiments during the 30's but the temporary paints tended to stain.
    The F-117 was supposed to be painted in lavender, cornflower blue and a pale mauve as this afforded the best low-visibility scheme for the mission. The powers that be decided that black was sexier<G>
  9. FlintknapperGene

FlintknapperGene New Member

Here's MY favorite site for this kind of stuff, some mid-30s material and thoughtful work throughout:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy guys,

Well ya learn something new everyday or in my case, every three days, lol, so I am taking off work til sunday night and gonna get me some rest, answer some emails and work on my latest model, the PLZ-106 KRUKABOMBZA cropduster by maly. But I willbe in and out of here all weekend as usual. (I have 10 weeks of vacation, I take every friday off. eat your heart out guys lol.)
    thanks shrike for that information and thanks flint for the link.

11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Ahhh, GEEDUBBYA...I take everyday of the week off. 8v) Yet, it still takes me months and months to put together one model. I may finish my PBY by the end of Summer...the redraw of the GPM B-52, but the end of the year...hopefully. Enjoy your vacation.

FlintknapperGene...Great site. Thanks for the link!