Help with Sketchup model conversion

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by PaperRonin, Aug 25, 2008.

1. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Hey designer ppls!

I found some very interesting models on Google's 3D warehouse that would make an interesting addition to high class Star Trek, Star Wars and other Sci-Fi Papermodels!

Only thing is, I have been trying to edit, edit and edit some more using Sketchup, Metaseq, Lightwave, 3DS... all but AutoCAD, but the model just seems to complex to do it... :confused: Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I didn't use any 3D programs for a few years now and I have to grow into it again...

For now, I am working on (well trying to work on) the USS Prometheus, USS Voyager (with detachable captains yacht) and the Battleship Voyager. I have the (almost) complete fleet on HDD by now.

Any of you can give me some usefull advice on the subject?

If needed, I'll email you the models themself, so you can look into it. Google 3D warehouse is a real treasure for finding great looking models btw!!
  2. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well, I use Sketchup and had the same initial idea... just go get some already done models and convert them into card. Trouble is, most of them are too complex and were never designed with cardmodels in mind. You're far better off just learning to design your own. The amount of time it would take you to break apart someone else's model, then redesign bits to cardmodel-friendly is really not worth the trouble - especially as you then would still not have the right to sell or publish it
    The good news is that I feel I'm finally getting closer to being able to finish one of the SU models I've stated. Now that I've gotten the hang of a few tools.

3. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

I think I'm still going to try this, cleaning up and all is a b**ch, but since the models I have in mind are acrually 'hollow' the results could become quite nice! Gamemodels were never made with papercrafting in mind either right?

Ow ans as for rights, I wasn't even thinking about selling any, just having some nice, free models for us all, but, I looked into it anyhow. Here's Google's say about it:

By submitting, posting or displaying Content through the 3D Warehouse, you grant Google and its end users a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual license to exercise the rights in the Content, as stated below:
    1. to reproduce the Content;
    2. to create and reproduce derivative works of the Content;
    3. to display publicly and distribute copies of the Content;
    4. to display publicly and distribute copies of derivative works of the content.
  4. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Trying it with Pepakura Designer and/or Waybe...
  5. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well, basically all of the SU models I've seen are hollow as well.
    So what are you going to be using to unfold it?