Help With Roadbed Brand

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
planeshavings I don't use roadbed for the NM mainline or yard and industry tracks. However for the class 1 R.R.'s that come out of staging into my "part" of the world I used AMI Instant Roadbed. I find it excellent in every regard except one. It's a little pricey but IMHO worth it. VERY easy to work with and self adhesive to boot!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Dewey, If you decided on the cork roadbed, although its been years since I used any, you'll find that its a whole lot cheaper to buy it by the box (24pcs.)...A lot of the mail order places have deals on it.

You certainly want the kind that is split down the middle and is real flexible after you "peel" it apart. There's probably about umpteen different brands....but stay away from Model Power...that stuff is so stiff you could use it for a baseball bat:D

Also see what kind of a deal your hobby shop will make you on buying it by the box.

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey Duey, I used cork roadbed for a lot of years but I just tried some of the Woodland Scenics foam roadbed and its kind of nice. I don't know how well it will age but we will have to see!!:eek:

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi BillK, A few that come to mind are Midwest Products, Star Industries, Atlas (don't know if that's still around), US Gasket and etc.

I had to visit a company once on business that made cork gaskets for heavy equiptment . The GM was giving me a tour of the plant and I noticed one machine operator was cutting scraps into strips. I asked what that was for....his reply..."Oh we cut that into strips and its sold to guys who play with electric trains...."

"Yer never know....":D :D ..."whatcha gonna find...":D :D :D