Help with Retirement gift

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by daveterry22, May 1, 2006.

1. daveterry22

daveterry22 New Member

Need some help from everyone on this site

My boss is going to retire at the end of this year and we want to get him something to remember us by, and to thanks him for all his time here.

He is really into trains so I am thinking about something train related.

I would like to get a painting or a large scale train car that is personalized.

Does anybody have any ideas on what we can do and where to get it from?

2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Hi Dave, welcome to the Gauge.
    It would be useful if you could find out a little bit more about his particular interests, such as what scale he works in, the era that's of interest to him (even if you could just narrow it down to steam or diesel era), and perhaps what his favourite prototype railroads are. I'm sure that you'll get lots of good suggestions from the helpful folks at the Gauge.

3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

That's really a cool idea :) You could also consider maybe a "gag gift" related to trains and a gift certificate to a Local Hobby Shop that you know he shops at. That way you are giving him something to remember you by - and also letting him choose what he wants to buy.

By gag gift, I mean maybe a railroad clock, or a railroad paper weight or other household items.. They have lamps online that have cabooses as a base, too. There really is lots of stuff available from specialty sites, but like Doctorwayne said, we can't narrow it down unless we know gauge, and steam or diesel and approximatly how much you have to spend would help too...

Another idea is to go to e-bay and search for "railroad" - lots of things are available including collectables.
    ~~ Best of luck :D
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, something very collectable, even if he can't run it. I'm thinking of a rare Lionel set, or a showpiece brass steam engine, even if it's not in his scale, everybody that's into trains would cherish these things.
  5. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

retirement ideas

hi dave---welcome to the gauge---i hope my co-workers are as considerate when i retire!!!! lots of great railroad art available---use the internet to view some of the works of Howard Fogg,Ted Rose,Tony Fachet,and one of my favourites,Wentworth Folkins---i'll bet you can find some of their works just by typing their name in the search engine(google)---as well check,,or'm sure there are many others as well
    hey,a brass steam engine would be nice---but you may be shocked at the prices---check e-bay for some samples---anyway,have fun---hope to hear from you again
  6. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

What about an O scale Passenger car numbered with 2 digits of his start and end years of Service, with the company name on the car side. Then maybe some passengers that look like staff or "dressed/charactorized" for that person. Get it light-able, too. Then you can run it or look at it. It becomes a personalized momento, piece of rolling stock.
    Hmmm... Maybe even make it a "Business Car" and have the interior look like the business.
  7. there ya go sir how about a loco with the cab number of his starting year and a caboose with his last year and have them decaled as his business just a thought