Help with Peco turnouts

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
I'm using Peco code100 insulfrog turnouts on my layout and have some questions-
1.According to what I have been told these are power routing but in a layout wiring book it says that turnouts with insulated frogs are all power.Which is correct?
2.In the literature that came with the turnout it states that they are ready to got right out of the box.All you have to do is feed power through the toe end which I'm assuming is the point side.Correct?
3.So based on this is it safe to assume that all I have to do is run some feeders connected to the point side and have it?
4.I even e-mailed Peco about this but they have yet to reply-How Rude!!
Thanks for any help-Bobwall1

T

tebee

The Peco turnouts are power switching as they come out of the box, but it's possible to fairly easily modify the insulated frog one to become all power, though there is a slight chance of having a short at the frog when it becomes worn if you do this.

Yes you basically just need to to make sure the feeds are on the toe end (that's the end with 2 rails rather than 4) and they are ready to go. In particular don't ever try to feed the live frog ones from the wrong end.

Tom

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
Help with Peco switches

Thanks Tom-That's all I wanted to know.So I guess all I have to do is to add some feeders and go for it?Also I shouldn't have to worry about insulated joiners either? Why people had to make this so difficult to explain to me was beyond me.
Here is my track plan and I indicated where I think the feeders should go.I would appreciate it if you would check it out for me Thanks-Bob
feeders-2.jpg

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
According to what I have been told these are power routing but in a layout wiring book it says that turnouts with insulated frogs are all power.Which is correct?
Many layout wiring books, especially older ones, assume there are only two types of turnouts:

Metal frog, no gaps. Must be fed from point end. Power routing. Must avoid short circuits, as "dead" route has both rails same polarity.

Plastic frog, insulated. Can be fed from anywhere. Not power routing. Jumpers mean all routes powered all the time, no risk of shorts.

But there's a third kind:

Plastic frog, power-routing. On the "dead" side, the rail from the frog is not the wrong polarity, but unpowered.

I hope I got that right...

T

tebee

OK here's my slightly changed version of you plan.

The two feeds with squiggly red lines through them are not needed.

You need insulated joiners in four places where I've put the red lines across the tracks. It's safer to say put them on both rails at these points though this may not be necessary .

As a rule of thumb you need to use insulated joiners at the opposite end of the switches where you would get two feeds "colliding". This is an absolute necessity for the live frog points and advisable for the dead frog ones.

Tom

Attachments

• feeders-3.jpg
    feeders-3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 16

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
Peco switches

Tom-Thanks-In a reply from Peco they state that nothing has to be done to the switches unless I'm running DCC or powering the whole layout instead of power routing then I would need insulated joiners but since I'm not and I have tested the track and so far so good. Thanks Bob