Help with pdf printing/enlargements

Discussion in 'Software' started by rickstef, Apr 2, 2004.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I worked out a scale conversion for Volker's trucks to scale them up to 1:32 from 1:43 scale, I have to print the original at 134.375%

Now, my problem is that I know that acrobat will print the same file at 145.4% when printing on 11x17 paper, but I want it to print at the 134% scale, what do I need to do?

Do i make a jpg/bmp/tif of the file, and print it at 134% in photoshop?
    or is there is way to override the default in acrobat?

let me know

2. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

hi rick,

I use the printer-dialog to scale down. A3 : A4 is the same as squareroot 2 : 1 (1.4142) to get your 134.375% divide this number by 141.42. the result is .95 (95% on A3)

hope this helps
  3. Alejandr0

Alejandr0 New Member

Hi my name is alejandro and I am from mexico and new to this forum...

I have the full version of adobe acrobat, and to print the files I checked the tile all pages option on the printing options that allows me to set the size of the print... even if it is really big it will tile it in as many pages as it needs... don't know if this option is available in acrobat reader.... hope this helps.. :D
  4. rowiac

rowiac Member

As far as I can tell, there is no way to enter specific printing scale values into Acrobat Reader (or Acrobat Pro, for that matter).

What should work is to set the page scaling in Acrobat to "None" (100%) and then go into your printer properties (select your printer then select "Properties" in Acrobat's print dialog). Each printer model/brand is going to be different, but my Canon printer allows me to scale the output in the "Page Setup" tab. I then select "Scaled Printing" and I can enter any scale between 20% and 400%. My Epson printer has a "Reduce/Enlarge" function in the Layout tab, where I can enter specific scales. I'll bet your printer, whatever make it is, will have a similar function. I think this is what rkelterer was getting at in his reply, but I just elaborated on it.

Good luck,

5. Texman

Texman Guest

I do not find a percentage option on my acrobat either. Anyone?
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

As Alejandro said, in Acrobat you can click on options in the page thumbnail view and go to Print Pages. From there, in the box just below the middle where it says Fit to Paper, select Tile All Pages. Once done, a new box opens which allows changing the Tile Scale. I haven't tried this option as I have several other ways of changing scale for printing purposes. One includes using Print with Preview in Photoshop which allows changing the percentage of the printed image, and if I open a PDF file in Photoshop, I can change the raster options to a percentage and input the higher or lower percentage, then change the DPI, and open the file. It then needs to be flattened, but once that is done, you can print the file at 100 percent and get the size you want. I prefer the last method as it does allow for more decimal places in the percentage scale change. Print with Preview only allows for two decimal points.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Member

Copying is allowed in Volker's pdfs and the following avoids problems with the software (or the operator) getting confused and changing sizes as it fits images to paper sizes.

With the graphics select tool in Acrobat Reader, select the graphics you want.
    Enlarge your view in AR to 400%
    (don't worry that most of the selection is off screen}
    (this puts it in Clipboard at 4 times larger and at 72dpi)

Now in Photoshop, or other graphics programme
    Paste as a new image (or equivalent command)
    Resize the image to 288dpi
    (this returns it to it's original size, but avoids loss of clarity and the "jaggies")
    Now resize by the percentage you want.

It will come out exactly the size you want and irrespective of the paper size used.
    You can save in whatever format turns you on.

OK, so if this is too much for your machine's memory do it in 2 or more stages with a slight overlap to fiddle the bits together.

8. Peter H

Peter H Member

I concur with Maurice's technique, it's elegant but in my case I use GIMP to create my final modified design.

Remember these designs are called "Derivitives" and for all intents and purposes are still under the copwrite of the original design.

Please use wisdom and **keep them for your personal use only** or designers will turn off the PDF copy feature and we all lose.