help with PayPal email

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by barry, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barry

barry Active Member

I don't think this is the right place but being a suspicous old git do PayPal ask for PIN number of your card these days think I have a dodgy email asking for details.

Anybody got any comments please

How do you check with PayPal by phone ?
  2. shrike

shrike Guest

PayPal has never asked for a PIN for as long as I've dealt with them.

Never respond to any clickable mail purporting to be from PayPal. If they have a legitimate reason to contact you, there will be a message when you log in to the site (and always type the URL in manually BTW)
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Yep, what shrike said x 10
    In fact if you have any suspicion you can forward the email to paypal and they will investigate it, but NO ONE, not even your bank, will ask for your pin
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

phishing scam.

stay away. best thing to do is report it or forward it to paypal.
  5. Alcides

Alcides Member

I work in IT security and the number one rule is:

"NO ONE, not even your bank, will ask for your pin" as Kaz wrote.

and from the paypal help:

• Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.
    If you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake website), please forward the email (or URL address) to and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.

6. barry

barry Active Member

spoof mail

Thanks fellas it was a pretty good copy of a Paypal document but apart from the fact of asking for a pin the address looked a bit dodgy.Luckily I am in the process of signing up by snail mail so I am pretty well covered.

Damn frightening though when you nearly fall for it.

Thanks for your time
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

also, when you read the email, hover your mouse pointer over the link in the email, and if it does not read as a paypal addy, then forward the email to

8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah never respond to this or any from eBay................ if it really is from them you can go to their sites and find messages that THEY sent to you.

Phishing (fishing for info) is a real problem, and as rick pointed out the REAL ebay and paypal want you to forward these emails to them.

Death Penalty for credit theft......... hash but effective. This is my opinion and please don't tell me I'm wrong........ unless you have had to deal with the YEARS of aggravation from overcoming it.

On this I am unanimous!:grin:

9. Darwin

Darwin Member

Only one last item to add....never log onto your Paypal account through a convenient link provided in the phishing email. The b*****ds are getting really brazen, providing the "respond only by logging on" caution in their emails, with the link provided in the email to directly go to the "PayPal" log-in page. A good practice is never do anything through an email. Close it out and log into your account the "inconvenient" way to see if there really is anything going on. In this same vein, the phishers are getting cute by sending you an email purporting to be from an Ebay buyer complaining about some problem you were supposedly the seller for. Never having sold anything through Ebay, these are pretty easy for me to spot. If I ever do decide to sell something, I think I will create a second Ebay account and keep the sales totally isolated from the purchases. Again, only respond to those if they show up in your Ebay mailbox after you log in to your account.
  10. Darwin

Darwin Member

John, I gotta agree with you re the punishment for phishers....there is no recidivism that way, even if it doesn't deter new phishers.
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I third it. The Bas----s screwed up my ebaying one year, and after they die may they rot in hell, or Bayonne ,NJ!
  12. Darwin

Darwin Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh, Ted, but you have an evil streak in you. Though Passe Robles, CA might even be worse.
  13. barry

barry Active Member

Yeah you can count me in but I will give PayPal it's due it did clamp the account quickly and did confirm the mail as a spoof threat the biggest annoyance is that I was in the middle of sorting the account so I was peed off anyway.

As for all these crooks an assegai up the rectum from 40,000 feet would suit me.

I have to tell you the biggest joke if the b*****d uses the password I absentmindly keyed in it won't it was the wrong one anyway LUCKY ME!!!

Sometimes it pays to be old and braindead

again thanks for your help
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Not completely correct.... any domain can create subdomains and call them whatever they want. so even if it says paypal (or any other offical sounding site you may subsribe to like ebay or whatnot) dont click any of their links or respond. Type their URL directly as suggested and check their.

For instance if I registered a domain called I could easily create a subdomain called paypal or ebay. Then I could send out a phishing email that would respond to to anyone that is looking out for it this, it is super easy to spot but to the general internet user it certainly looks like it could be legit. Another thing to check is if you hover over any links or any links show up as an ipaddres ( that is almost a sure sign of phishing.
  15. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I use to have both ebay+paypal accounts. but Closed them down 2 Years ago!

I just recently started getting those e-mails. I knew they were fake as the accounts were closed.

They were saying some-one had taken money out of my paypal account.
    I also got one stating I had made a payment of $200-400. Again Not Posible. I never had that much available to paypal.

To a slight degree I would like to re-open the accounts. But with this I don't know!
  16. barry

barry Active Member

card fraud

Hi All

It seems like many of us keep getting these scams I know I have been targeted at least 5 times this last year and always before I have spotted it before making a mistake but after last night I came to the conclusion that I am not as quick as I used to be.

So having found that my accounts were still intact I decided to insure my identity, money I could ill afford but I thought I would give it a go for a year.

Thanks once again for all the tips lads, although my credit limts are very low by comparison with todays limits it would easily put me into bancruptcy.

I am beginning to think it is time for the banks to identify themselves to you with a password or something.

regards to all
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

On the money (yes pun) so to speak barry. There is a new process in which some accounts are going to. It involves a sign-in process that responds to your user name with a "phrase" and picture you set up in the original log-on process.

After you verify the phase and a picture is correct then you can enter your password. A little longer to sign on but until the phishers figure it out it seems to be a little safer.

18. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Another difference between the real paypal and the fake one

One more difference between the real paypal letter and the fake ones, is that paypal know your full name and they open their letter with something like "Dear abc 123", while the fake ones, do not know your name and write something like "dear paypal member".

19. 46rob

46rob Member

A real email from either paypal or ebay will always have your registered name and username in the opening lines. They never start as Paypal or ebay user: always with your name and username.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.