help with old steam train

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by brodie, Apr 24, 2006.

1. brodie

brodie New Member

i have recently been handed down an old train set. it has old hornby windup trains around and a special steam engine
    i dont know much about it i take it that it was round the time when the windups were around(1945s) i think and i need to know how it works and what it needs to looks like it needs somekind of fuel to burn and it looks to need steam. it has a tender with small pieces of coal but i cant find any type of burner to put it in.
    i can provide pictures if needed

thanks for any help that i get!
    cheers brodie
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge Brodie.
    Some photos of the locomotive might help identify it.
  3. brodie

brodie New Member

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

It looks a bit like Basset Lowke to me. Is there a contraption on it for burning alcohol, and water space in the tender?
  6. brodie

brodie New Member

that is the part for burning i was told that it might of had kerosene in it
    in the picture, in the right part of it the little bit that goes up and sticks out well there is a wick in the and in the little stciky bit there are 5 or so little and that must heat the water in the boiler in the train above it
    me n my dad tried but we cant get it to burn or stay alight
    i took it to a model shop today but they had no luck they said that theres a few parts missing and it just should be put up on a shelf or taken to a local steam show every weekend which i mite try

7. brodie

brodie New Member

8. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

As far as I know, all these live steam engines were fired with pure Alcohol (spirit). I guess that Kerosene doesn't work with such a burner.

Be VERY careful when you experiment with different fuels! Choosing the wrong stuff could cause an explosion. Under no circumstances should you use lighter fluid or gasoline! Their vapors, mixed with air could explode in your face!