help with lake

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by pwheeling, May 21, 2006.

1. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

Hey guys,
    I need some help with my lake. I glued 2 placemats together and painted them blue. The problem is, where they connect is a line and I don't know how to cover it up. Any suggestions? I already thought about making it a stream from a boat, but that wont account for the whole thing.

2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Maybe you could build a small pier or fishing dock off one bank extending into the lake to cover part of the seam. Your boat stream could extend from there to cover more.....maybe a similar pier on the other side...

As an alternative you might consider making your lake out of materials that won't create a masonite or a surface covered with joint compound and smoothed, etc.
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

might try dry wall joint compound then when dry repaint.
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

5. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

6. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

here it is

[​IMG] You can clearly see the problem I have. Any suggestions would be appreciated :thumb:
  7. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

8. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Looks nice,

I would use more of the landscape material you used for the shoreline, and build up land right along the seam. It would be a very natural looking land bridge (ithmus). I see lakes and ponds like that all the time. OR.... you could cover most of the seam by bringing land out from each shore line to a point, making two pennisulas, and join them with a little bridge, wharf, dock or other structure.
  9. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

Thanks Kyle, I'm leaning toward the land bridge idea.
  10. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

I did a "Titanic" diorama years ago and used a very thin mix of Poly Filla (lots of water very little powder and mixed very well) with pretty good results. I was able to tool it for water details and where the lines for the lifeboats dropped in the water (as well as the hull meeting with the water), it was pretty good for a first attempt.

Try using that to fill in the seam but you may want to make the mix a bit thicker than what I had. After that, repaint the lake to cover it up.