Help With Detail Painting

Hi Guys, I've recently finished puting together some bachman buildings, and I need to color some small (1/4") squares on the front of the styrene buildings, I have tried water colors, but was not able to do a good job, I also tried felt tip pens, but the color's went away, does anyone know of any fine tipped coloring pen's or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx in advance from one terribly un artistic chap.:(

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Duey, Both Testors and Tamyia make felt tiped paint markers. Hobby shops usually carry them. You should be able to paint 1/4" squares with a #00 or #000 sable brush. Just practice on some scraps first:)

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Planeshavings, Testors makes paint pens made to paint styrene. You should be able to pick them up at your hobbie shop or wal-mart. Trouble is they only come in basic colors (red, black, blue ect.) Hope this helps!!:eek:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Not sure what the 1/4" squares will represent, but perhaps you can use decals. Microscale makes "checkerboard" decals in several sizes and colors. I have 1/4" white, I could send some to you if it would help.

Gary

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
I use the end of a tooth pick for doing small details, or for real small details I use the end of a needle. It make a few dabs on what you are trying to color but everything takes time. Ron.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
A 00 brush, & a magnifier are all you need.
I always like to prime styrene, before painting, with a light coat of any flat colored solvent based paint...either air-brushed, or aerosol...If you don't want a base primer color, use Dullcote.
The primer will provide some "tooth" for subsequent coats of paint.

Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Not sure what the 1/4" squares will represent, but perhaps you can use decals. Microscale makes "checkerboard" decals in several sizes and colors. I have 1/4" white, I could send some to you if it would help.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I've tried the Testors pens, and they worked out great, but I will keep your Idea of the decals in mind for future work. Thanx again..