Help with cables

Richard Gude

May 31, 2005
What type of cable do I need to connect the various tethered ports to the Command Station. I have an NCE system - not sure that that matters but I know that one type of "phone" cable connects pin "1" to pin "6" and the one I am looking for needs to run pin 1 to pin 1. Is this type called a serial cable? I tried at RS but of course I wasn't interested in a cell phone so they didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Also tried Compusa but they only had 8 pin.
Can anybody tell me what to ask for? Found a DSL to computer cable at RS will that do it?

Thanks,

rhg

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
Richard Gude said:
I tried at RS but of course I wasn't interested in a cell phone so they didn't know what the heck I was talking about.

Wish I could help you better, but AMEN to that statement!

I'm not too familiar with NCE (yet -- we'll see what deals they have at Trainfest this weekend...), but I'm 99% sure you're referring to the Cab Bus they refer to on Page 20 of their manual.

You can use any 6 wire telephone wire, you just need to be sure pin 1 goes to pin 1 as you said. The best way is to buy lengths of 6 wire telephone line, and crimp the connectors on yourself, to ensure the pins line up. Page 33 of the manual shows how to do this.

One of our great members here, Railway Bob, has a great description on his website how he does it with his Digitrax system, but yours should be the same. It's at http://www.railwaybob.com/Modules/WiringRJ12s/RJ12s01.html

Scott
P.S. My page #'s come from NCE's manual online. I'm assuming it's the same that ships with the system.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Richard: If you stretch the cable out, the one you want will have the connectors mounted on opposite sides of the cable. One end will have the little catch on top and the other on the bottom. Trace the right hand side wire and it should end up on the right hand side at the other end. If they're colour coded, you may be able to see through the packaging. (Right hand is as you look at the connector's "business end".)