Help wanted!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by knightstalker527, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Hi I am new to ship modeling:cry:. I have been a SciFi card modeler for about 5 years and love it. Now I have learned that if you need advice listen to the veterans. I have recently inherited a started Halinski 3-4/99 Yamato from a late uncle. My questions are: Can I still use my elmers glue on this one? Is there a special order you build these thing in? What do I have to watch out for? How do you build these things? He had already cut all the pieces out for the hull so I suppose you start there. I will take any and all advice on building this thing. I have already built a plastic 1/250 model so this should be fun.

2. Darwin

Darwin Member

You do it the same way you eat an bite at a time. Seriously, though, start with the frame, and work your way toward the top, one layer at a time. Start with tacking the framework platform (the framework section at the waterline of the hull) to a flat building surface...a big piece of plate glass if you can find it, otherwise a good flat section of 3/4 inch plywood or 1 inch dense particleboard (the type they use for making countertops from). Last hull I worked with, I used glue dots (the kind they sell in crafts stores...comes on a roll of paper, each dot of adhesive about an eighth inch in diameter or so) to attach the platform to the building surface. My preference is to build the upper section of the framework first, including the main deck. When all is dry, carefully separate from the building surface....I use a Rapala filleting knife for this particular task. Add the below-water part of the framework. Then add the red parts (hull bottom plates). Most ship modelers advise starting at the middle of the hull and working forward and aft from there. When the red parts are on, add the hull sides. The rest of the sequence is personal preference....I build the stand next, so I can rest the model on it during the rest of the build. I prefer adding the details to the hull next (props, etc.), then start in on the superstructure, going one subassembly at a time. Then the deck details (winches, etc.). When all else is done, I put on the masts and rigging, and finish with the main deck railings.

When building the superstructure subassys, I recommend completing each layer (including railings) before starting the next layer. Easier putting on the detail parts when you don't having the next higher deck get in the way. And dryfit, dryfit, dryfit.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

4. Hey guys thanks for the input! I am not really looking to put any money into this unless I absolutely have to since it is my first one. I do happen to have about 30 sheets of tempered shelf glass so that should not be a problem. I am having a little bit of a hard time following the thing about the waterline deal as this one seems to have a 1 piece formers. If I pull this one off I should have something to be proud of. so any help is greatly absorbed:thumb:.

5. Darwin

Darwin Member

I don't have the particular kit you have, but have some that have a similar construction mode. The approach I planned to use was to do some slicing on the formers to cut them into a top and bottom half, removing enough material from the formers to account for the thickness of the platform....a little bit of re-engineering the framework. If you decide to use this approach, I definitely recommend working with scans of the original parts. If you've had much experience working with mechanical drawings, the process will be fairly easy for you. I can't believe anyone would design such a big model to be built "freeform," so to wonder there are so many complaints about warped hulls. It's difficult enough to keep things straight when you have something flat to stabilize it until enough is together to give it some rigidity.
  6. OH ok i understand now. I think he has it a little to far for me to go this route now. If I build another ship I am definitely going to use that approach. I am definitely over my head right now.

7. Teamski

Teamski Member

Welcome to the board. First thing I would HIGHLY recommend you do is start with something a bit less complex. You could not start on a more complex ship than the Yamato. Start with a couple 1:400 scale ships or simpler 1:200 scale one before starting on that Yamato. It takes a little practice to work with paper. You may also want to take the kit to a copier and have it copied first and work off the copies. That way, you can salvage parts that were screwed up. Trust me, you mess up on one visible piece and you will toss the whole thing. Patience is a true virtue in this hobby....

I didn't complete my first 1:200 scale HMS Hood until I had already completed about 8 other models, and even after that it was a real trick for me....

8. Thanks Teamski for the info:thumb:. I am just playing with this ship My uncle had most of the frame work cut and glued up before he passed and now I am just finishing things up. I really like looking at the work you all do here and have to admit that I am a little jealous of what I see here.
    If I could have started from scratch I would have built this as a waterline model as I like the looks of the ships as they sit on the water and not on brass rods. As I have learned on my scifi models the first couple are always not going to be the best you have ever done and what better one to learn on than a free one.
    However I do want you to know that the advice is heard and absorbed for future builds. I would defiantly like to build an arizona and bismarck. They are my favorite ships.

9. Ok I seem to have done something wrong:curse:. My hull looks like it has mad cow disease. is there a way to attach the hull plates so they don't sink?
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Can you post a picture of what's going on? I hope I can help, but I'm not sure...????
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Let me start by saying - hulls are the reason you have never seen a ship build by me :) dont feel too bad about not getting it right on the first try. I have seen some really awesome results so I know its possible :)
  12. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

I will have to go by Teamski on this one. The Yamato is one of the most difficult models. I have both versions of it, the first one and the last one. The design of the parts in the last version is more accurate and they are easier to put together. But the hull is the most difficult part of both versions. I like absolutely everything about that ship and the Halinski’s kits. The cover pictures are even painted by friend of mine. So, I can’t wait to start building it, but I know I’m not there yet. It will take a lot of practice to do it right. So, I strongly recommend you to start smaller and build your skill up to the Yamato level gradually. You can of course play with it now, but get ready to deal with a lot more disappointments just like this one.
    The problem you described as mad cow disease, on the Polish forum Kartonwork they call it cow’s ribs. There are a couple of ways to avoid it. I’m going to post a few links to the threads on Kartonwork with pictures describing these methods. If those pictures are not clear enough, please post more questions.

modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - *[Relacja/Okrêt] Tender lotniczy Akitsushima 1:200 Answer
    modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - *[Relacja/Okrêt] NARVIK Z-32 by Bartosz

modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - ORP Wicher - 1:100 [relacja z budowy] modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - *[Relacja/Statek] Trawler M/T Regulus (Fly Model 116)
    modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - "Stra¿ak-3" czyli relacja z doskoku
    modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - Fly Model 143 "Kruzensztern"- budowa
    modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - HMCS "Agassiz"

13. Rutek 63: Thanks for the advice and I see that I should have filled the voids with foam now. Oh well no one says that I have to show this one to anyone if it comes out bad. I have a large basement that things could get lost in :mrgreen:. I know I sound stubborn but I am unemployed right now and have no money so purchasing a new ship or ink to print one out is out of the question. I wanted something to do while I had some time and my aunt said she would give me this ship my uncle had been working on. I said yes and the rest is history.
    I have built the yamato in plastic at 1/200 and 1/250 and thought it was an ok ship but not my favorite. I would much rather be building the Bismarck or Arizona right now. My wife has told me that if I get thru this one she would get me a Bismarck for my B-day so I am using this one as a learning model. I know it must pain some of you guys to see a ship of this size in the hands of a beginner and I am sorry:oops:. But anything you could offer as tips I will use and learn from. Besides what a great model to learn from if you all are right about the difficulty than the next one should be a breeze.

Thanks for the guidance