Help w/ Steel track !!!! RAssafrasign ()*^in sa

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by YmeBP, Dec 22, 2006.

1. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I read all the posts about steel and brass and oxidation, but my layout has steel in it :(. I know they are right but i have steel, and i can't afford to replace it w/ Nickel right now :(.

It's dirty, i ran an ihc cleaning car over it .. the pad is black but my track is still dirty!.

Is there something i can put on the steel that will insulate it from air, maintain its electric conductivity and still maintains enough friction to allow the train to move.

Helllllllllp stooges8
  2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

You might try Wahl clipper oil. It works great on nickel-silver, so it should help with steel. Clean your track again, put very small drops on the rail in random spots, and run a train for awhile. Did wonders for me.
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Try a drop of Wahl Clipper Oil on each rail about every ten feet---after---you thoroughly clean the rails. Some folks rub their track down with Brasso (lotta work) or Goo Gone (never tried it), I use masonite pads mounted under my cars, I have both steel and NS track.

Here's a howto on those pads>>>
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Didn't mean to steal your fire, Loren:thumb:
  5. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I took a look at your how too couple questions for you .. what exactly is masonite (is it that countertop stuff?) and where do i get it from . Is the fabric you show attached to the piece you cut out?

i have about 100 linear feet of track laid down :(. this is gonna suck!

I have to look into goo gone, i think i have some whal oil somwhere.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Masonite is also called hardboard. Very hard, usually brown, one super smooth surface and one rough.
    Common in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses.
  7. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I actually have some of that stuff!!! I was thinking about using some of that for my tracks! :) didn't realize it was the same stuff!!

O.k. great! I'm going to have to get some weights and i have pleanty of rolling stock that are sufficiently crappy for me to hack up.

So ... can i coat the masonite w/ goo gone?
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Don't put anything on the masonite, its mild abrasive qualities are enough just sliding along the track. The weight pictured on the tinplate pad was for centering. You'd be amazed at what the thing will pick up.
  9. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

O.k. i'm gonna get a glue gun today and cut a couple squares. I'll spend some time w/ my eraser thingy and get the track kinda clean then put a couple w/ these pads on the track afterwards.
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If your "eraser thingy" is abrasive, you might want to rethink. While it will remove the oxide, it leaves little scratches that make the track more susceptible to getting dirty. You might try a metal polish that can be used on steel to remove the oxide. Polish well to remove any cleaner residue, and then try the wahl oil to "seal" it.

11. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

No problem, Shaygetz, glad you agree.
  12. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

The eraser thing is from woodland hobbies it's yellow, the folks at the hobby shop closest to me said it was the best for major cleaning.

Question on the wahl oil: if i have tyco/life like (low toy grade) loco's will that prevent them from gainaing traction? i'll try it out on my power loc track :).
  13. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You just use ONE drop about every 10 feet on both tracks. You don't want your tracks to be oily.
  14. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Sweet thanks!!
  15. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

I've heard the polish "Flitz" is good stuff...but I've never really tested it on track. Anybody comment?

Would the abrasive eraser some have referred to be the 'brite boy'? I have used these and it does seem to scratch the track. A basic kids school eraser seems to do an admirable job if you don't mind little pink flecks here and there...that depends also on what brand and quality you get.

16. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I just looked up flitz it looks promising, there is another metal polish i found at the hardware store. I'm open to anything that will help w/ the frequent cleanings :).
  17. Relic

Relic Member

I have used contact cleaner with good results, spray some on the track wiper make a trip or two ,wipe off the wiper and repeat. I don't have a lot of steel rail but have a couple of Life Like switches{ I feel funny calling them "turnouts" for some reason}that need more attention than the rest
    good luck
  18. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

19. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Try these on a run night at the club...:thumb:

"Throw the switch for the switch into that siding over there..."

"Throw the switch for the turnout into that siding over there..."

Make sure there's at least three thru freights and a hot shot passenger run due in the next five minutes, that'll fix any hangups about which term to use:D :D :D :D
  20. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

O.k. i have some results to report.

I've run the ihc cleaning car ... Not so good results. My track was too dirty for it to work properly.

I've run an abrasive style cleaning car i bought off ebay, that worked great!! But it left small (very small) scuff marks.

I've run the masonite cleaning car. That one seems best used after i use the abrasive as it does add a bit of polish to the track. Again some sections are too dirty for it to work on it's own.

I haven't tried the contact solution, what exactly is a wiper? Is that one of the devices made of masonite? Or is that the pad on the bottom of the ihc cleaning car?

So far i've actually gotten the track/loco to perform consistenly at (toy train) low speed.

The other thing i've gotten from this experience, tory trains w/ the 4 pickup and 4 drive wheels suck. I put a small swiss army knife in the back of my masonite train (maybe 3 to 4 oz) and the dam train would struggle pulling it!!! Sheesh. i can't wait until my super weight gets here.