Help w/Floquil Paint

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I noticed that too.
I went to the auto parts store and got some Dupont 3608 fast dry thinner and have been using it ever since. I thin the paint a bit more , about 25% thinner and apply more thin coats letting each coat set up about 10 minutes before the next. I drop the air presure to around 15 to 18 PSI for the thinner mixture.

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Thin the paint a little more and use a hair dryer on it. If the model is plastic don't hold the dryer in one place too long. One other suggestion, try Polly scale or Badger Model flex. I'm a professional custom painter and use them exclusively. I thin the Polly Scale with water and add a little gloss to it. The Badger Model Flex is airbrush ready out of the jar. I use the hair dryer on these too. I can do a 3 color paint job in under an hour!. Just buy one jar and try it. When you are done you can clean up in your sink, it's beautiful.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I've used none of the mentioned brands of paint, but I'll side with Blake that anytime you can use water based paint, it's much nicer to work with. If durability is a concern, when it's all done, a blast of dullcoat done outdoors seals it in well.

I guess there are certain colors for prototype modeling only available in solvent base, or you already have invested. If you just haven't tried it because the old way works, you really should give it a go.

Easy cleanup for spraying or brushing, fast dry, no fumes. Save your liver for living, not metabolizing solvents; that's why they call it a liver, not a solver ;)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I always thin Floquil paint at least 25% for airbrushing...& I only use Dio-Sol, the Floquil brand thinner. If you use Scale Coat, or one of the other thinners, it's not the right chemical match, & may prevent the paint from curing properly.