help to reduce polygon count

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by rlc321, Jan 25, 2007.

1. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

hello every one i need help i managed to download a 3ds model of a starship troopers warrior bug and i am using autocad 2007 and i need to make the pol count smaller so it can be transformed into a paper model i will be changing it aswell and have already got permission from owner i just cant figure out how??
    any help would be appreciated.
  2. Sumato

Sumato Member

What software are you using? Most 3D programs have a feature called 'optimise' that will reduce the mesh's poly count and simplify it, usually to a degree set by the user.
  3. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

i use autocad 2007
  4. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

If your talking polygons-I need more info
    How familar are you with AutoCAD?
    -Select the item you want, R click and "properties"
    -in the box (properties) box you can change many things, first of all up top it will say mpoly, or poly, or just line

What does your polygons say? Is it a spline? Spline's are very hard to change, although AutoCAD07 can do it.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Autocad is not a good program for modeling.

I'd suggest something more 3D oriented like Metesq, Rhino, Blender or Animator.

3D in Autocad is like trying to play the piano with boxing gloves on.
  6. mbauer

AutoCAD is very, very good at modeling and drawing things very accurately. Just depends on how much time you want to spend learning to use it's capabilities!

I use only 2002Lt to do my models, yet because of the accuracy, the planes for the first plots are usually huge full size monsters to test the fit. Small fit problems on small models turn into huge fit problems on bigger ones.

I use AutoCAD 2006/Map/LDD/Civil 3d at work. Upgrading on April 5th to 2007 with Civil 3D. Most of the 3d work is done for volumes.

AutoCAD can do drawings for buildings that show the different lighting effects from daylight to night, true the rendering takes awhile, but anybody that can play a piano with boxing gloves on has to be good!
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

What format is the model in? If it is a mesh, send me a dxf and I'll run it through Rhino. This has some excellent mesh tools; in v4 you can do boolean operations with other meshes AND with surface model parts, and the offset mesh tool is very useful as well! PM me for my contact details.

8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Metasequoia LE (free!) has a "Reduce Polygon" tool, if I could figure out how get a model in an importable format
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

No doubt Autocad can be utilized as a 3D creation program. I have used Autocad from version 11 up to 2005 (never got to try 2006 yet). I never found the 3D creation as easy as working in Viz or Max. I have 14years of cad experience and I found grasping Max very easy and your controls of surfaces more hands on and easily manipulated than the somewhat clunky way of Acad (also keep in mind my jobs have never required 3D in Acad).
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Viz. £1750. AutoCAD. £3570. Wooooowwwwww. I should hope they are good.....

11. mbauer

I've used ACAD since v14. When I was going to school learning drafting, Viz 3D was a class taken as an elective. It was easier than autocad!

What we do at work though is run routines that allow ACAD to do what we want we just a mouse click. This really improves ACAD for certain things.

I do mostly environmental and geotechnical drawings for a big civil engineering firm. I mostly do wetlands. When doing anything in wetlands, we must replace those wetlands. Autocad does this very nicely! Once the excavation limits are set, I can with just a few keystrokes give volumes for each wetland being disturbed.

AutoCAD 2007 and Civil 3d allow basically "object oriented" drawing. Once your styles are setup, you just drag and drop. We trained using road medians and such, but the whole time I was thinking how easy it would be to make models!

To do a wing, after setting different "styles" of wing planforms (delta or straight, etc.) Styles also needed would be the type of airfoils you would want to use, just plot them and the once completed save them as a style as well. Once the styles are all done (fuselage shapes, wing shapes, rudder shapes, etc.) you are ready to draw. The styles only need set up once and then are available as needed!

To add a wing to a fuselage is easy. Just choose the spot on the fuselage you want. Specify the angle and distance of the root cord, choose your style of wingplan form, style of airfoil, and now you have the wing completed in 3D.

I'm looking forward to our upgrade at work! Cost? Don't ask!

12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah Autodesk has this really nice extortion approach since their only competition in the industry is their older product. Once your on the subscription service you dont become a user you become a guinea pig because unless your running a version without problems with the updates shut off your network will be stuck with whatever issues Autodesk decides to send your way. In my opinion Acad14 was the penultimate version of Autocad but so many people refused to upgrade and were complacent, Autodesk was forced to add additional features to attract new customers and moreso old ones.

I am not sure how many floating points Acad uses now but some 3D programs use 1 or maybe 2 where Acad has to maintain a higher amount for liability in accuracy. So when you infinately zoom in on the end points of 2 meeting lines they touch at all zoom levels for example where in say Max you snap an endpoint to another and zoom in on it to see very soon that they do not touch at all in some cases.

So yes. Autocad is a GREAT tool for creating splines for models with extreme accuracy but I would take spline work to Max or Viz after the 2D work is done.

As for cost of these programs. Yeah they are expensive because they are well entrenched in the viz/animation industry and despite the fact that you shell out thousands of dollars on a piece of software. If your buying it to make money with it, your going to make that money back immediately and then some on maybe just one project. (Think $70/hour for architectural visualization charged to a customer... your making the money back in less than a month's work.)

For reducing polycounts on models in 2007? I have to say I have no idea how you could do that in Acad. However if you can port the software over to a 3D program. You can use the original model as a spline/line cage and build a second model over top of it as a guide. By doing this you have full control over the final result.