Help replacing crappy trucks with better ones.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Hi,

I bought 4 Model power All Metal Cars off of E-bay and just got them today.They are really nice cars,but the trucks on them are really crappy,made out of plastic and flimsy.I only paid about $4.50 for each car,but still I want better trucks on them.Any suggestions on what and where to buy better ones?Is it easy replacing them?

Thanks for the help!

Chris

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Yep they should,I'll have to get there soon.

Funny,they're supposed to be "All Metal" cars yet the trucks are crappy plastic,even the wheels are metal.Otherwise they're nice cars,worth the price I paid for them and I suppose I could get by with the trucks being plastic if I had to,still that just seems wrong somehow.

Chris

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
CRed said:
Hi,

I bought 4 Model power All Metal Cars off of E-bay and just got them today.They are really nice cars,but the trucks on them are really crappy,made out of plastic and flimsy.I only paid about $4.50 for each car,but still I want better trucks on them.Any suggestions on what and where to buy better ones?Is it easy replacing them?

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Its called E-Bay. It's called ripping-off tatics. At least the rest of the train is good:thumb:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Passenger or freight cars? There are several manufacturers of good quality trucks. Kadee is probably top of the line but you should be able to find less expensive ones by checking in the ad's in MR magazines. Also online at the Atlas, Bachmann, Walthers or Athearn websites.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
It's not going to be easy to replace them as they are held in with a unique stepped pin. I left mine alone and replaced the wheelsets with Atlas ones. Kadee #5s mounted right on the car floors with no shimming though I did have to shave down the end beams a touch. A car's a car on my budget:thumb:

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
CNWman said:
Its called E-Bay. It's called ripping-off tatics. At least the rest of the train is good:thumb:
I don't know if I was ripped off,these cars list for $16 each and I paid $18 for four of them so that seems good to me.The trucks are just a bit skimpy that's all,but they work so it's not a huge deal.

They already have body mounted Kadee compatable knuckle couplers that hook up nicely with my engine with Kadees and they already have metal wheels also,remember these are the better "All Metal" cars not the old cheapie plastic ones so they're decent cars if that makes a difference replacing the trucks.They're held on by one screw on the bottom of the truck by the way if that helps.

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Chris

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Jim Krause said:
Passenger or freight cars? There are several manufacturers of good quality trucks. Kadee is probably top of the line but you should be able to find less expensive ones by checking in the ad's in MR magazines. Also online at the Atlas, Bachmann, Walthers or Athearn websites.

They're freight cars Jim,here's an example of one of the ones I have...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mdp/mdp2191.htm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris