Help PRR Guys!!! C-Liner Question

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I've got a quick question all you PRR Experts can answer...

I just bought a C-Liner in Brunswick Green, single gold stripe with PRR herald. I'd like to know two things...

1. Is it generally true that PRR used to paint the single stripe on the sides of the cab units like the C-liner to designate a "freight-only" geared diesel?

2. Would a diesel like this C-Liner pull a passenger car consist? I've been unable to find a picture on line of what I'd like to model, and very very few pic's of C-Liners anyway. I'd like to have this C-Liner as a recent refurb that will pull a two car smooth side or cooregated side passenger car consist on an excursion run basis. I don't mind straying from prototypical operations, so don't worrying about offending me if I'm waaaay off base in what this C-Liner was really (and historically) used for. It sure does look great pulling passenger cars though.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Yes this is true. Below describes what I am saying.

Loewy prescribed the use of five pin-stripes down the middle of the PRR's new GG1 electric locomotives, tapering down at each end; these pinstripes were initially gold leaf to match the lettering, and changed to Buff when the lettering did. These pinstripes were also worn by passenger diesel locomotives. Many freight diesel and electric locomotives wore a single, somewhat thicker stripe in the same place. Later on, a single even thicker stripe replaced the five pinstripes for easier painting; this was accompanied by much larger PENNSYLVANIA lettering.

Below is the link where I found this information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRR_equipment_colors_and_painting

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks!!! Don't know why I didn't find that one before - but it sure helped. Now I'm just wondering if the C-Liners pulled passenger car consists regularly or did other cab units handle those runs.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks again Chessie...I'm going to use wikipedia more often as there's a lot of information links there.

Well - I'm going to boldly go against prototypical operations and run a C-Liner with a PRR parlor and double window passenger car. It will be an excursion day-trip only run to highlight the newly restored engine and cars. (At least that's the story I've just created to support management's purchase of yet another diesel.)

Attachments

• PC010014.JPG
    PC010014.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 56
  • PC010023.JPG
    PC010023.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 57