Help please - What are these?

Quinn222

This is a Proto GP7II (with sound), I got it a few weeks ago and am just now getting around to installing the couplers.

gp7.jpg

Also in the package are a whole bunch of things identified only as "consumer installed parts"

parts.jpg

I can see there are two windows, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with them since there are already windows installed. Are those dummy windows? Am I supposed to take them out and replace them with these? Also I have no idea what any of the other parts are or where and how to install them. There is an expolded view image included but it really doesn't tell me much.

Can anyone help me out? Right now I'm just putting all this stuff back in the box and running it as is.

Thanks.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Here are the parts I can identify.

I think that the box is an air conditioner unit and the gray piece is the back of it. Does it have an air conditioner unit on the other side of the loco? The other 2 are sunshades and go right above the front windows on the sides of the loco.

Was this a brand new loco or did someone else previosly own it? If you bought it from someone else, they might have replaced those parts with diff. parts and these would just e extras now, like the windows for example.

Here is what I can identify.

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 176

Quinn222

TruckLover said:
Was this a brand new loco or did someone else previosly own it?

It's brand new. The exploded view indicates that those black pieces are part of the window asspembly. Maybe I'm supposed to just mount the windows on top of the windows they aready have in place? Am I to just glue these things to it?

The box (air conditioner?) is shown on top of the locomtive, but I can't tell where on top of it or (again) how to attach it.

Hi Quinn222,

The extra windows you see are known as "winterized windows". They actually stick out the side of the cab, and some railroads order locomotives with those installed for operating in colder regions. I don't know if I have ever seen winterized windows on Pennsy diesels though. You can probably just leave them in your spare parts box in case you need them in the future.

The black piece with the mesh grill is called a "winterization hatch." (it is NOT an air conditioner.) It goes over one of the radiator fans on the top of the long hood. Again, an option ordered by some railroads if they operate the locomotive in winter conditions.

Hope this helps!

Quinn222

I think I may have figured it out. I hunted down every picture of GP7 I could find on Google and I think they are fake ditch lights.

doctorwayne

They're pretty hard to see on my crummy monitor, but they look to me like m.u. receptacles. You wouldn't use all of them, as there are different styles of the same receptacles. These mount on the walkway at the front and rear of the loco, but you'll need pictures of the prototype to know which ones to use and where to place them. On the prototype, heavy cables were plugged into them, so that all locos coupled together could be run from the unit in the lead.
Nice lookin' diesel, btw.:thumb:

Wayne

Seaboard

Those windows look like fish eye windows. You can glue them on over the existing ones or put the shades over the existing windows. Personally I'd go with the shades:thumb:.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Looks like the group has identified most of those parts. I can't say that installing loco details is my favorite part of the hobby but I have great admiraation for people who do enjoy it and create exceptional looking equipment. Your Pennsy Geep is a looker already!
:thumb:
Ralph

Triplex

Those windows look like fish eye windows. You can glue them on over the existing ones or put the shades over the existing windows.
I don't know if I have ever seen winterized windows on Pennsy diesels though.
I can't recall ever having seen them on PRR GP7s.

Russ Bellinis

Your Lifelike model is designed to have detail parts to replicate most versions used by the prototype anywhere in the country. Those winterization windows for instance, would have been used in Canada. They would not have been used in Florida, or the South. In New York, New England, and Pennsy, you would have to look at prototype pictures to see if they were used or not. The parts that are marked "air conditioners" are actually winterization hatches to go over the radiator fans I think. Again they would be found in Canada and the Northeast in the winter time. I'm not sure if they were removed for summertime operation and then put back on in the fall for the winter like storm windows on houses in the Northeast. I would imagine some of the modelers who model Northeastern or Canadian prototype might know. I model Santa Fe in the desert, and they don't run any winterization stuff down here.

Triplex

I'm not sure if they were removed for summertime operation and then put back on in the fall for the winter like storm windows on houses in the Northeast. I would imagine some of the modelers who model Northeastern or Canadian prototype might know.
Not that I know of. I see shots of locomotives with winterization hatches in any season.

Of course, these days, you often see locomotives with equipment they don't need, thanks to resales. For example, you can find used US engines operating in South America where they didn't bother to remove snowplows!