Help Please: How To Lay Fine Ballast

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by frustrated 24/7, Jul 12, 2006.

  1. frustrated 24/7

    frustrated 24/7 New Member

    So, I had my first layout going quite well with coarse ballast, then had some problems and hated the look. I basically removed all track piece by piece and removed all of the old ballast (it never was really solid, ever, except in some spots.) And went over all the grass to remove all that was not down good. So, I now have a stripped down bed and track (black bed), with segments of grass. I am using fine ballast, and used the water soap stuff, and spray glue. Train ran nice before I sprayed it, but then got a coating, and ran all choppy. How do I lay the ballast, from beginning to end is what I am asking, Thank You!
  2. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

    If you're using sectional track, chances are glue and soap have gotten into and between your rail joiners. Clean each joint and solder them then clean the rail tops for the best way to get around that. You may be using too much soap in your spray, only a drop or two per bottle is all you need. I add about an ounce of rubbing alcohol to mine as well. That helps thin out the water and dry faster as well. As for gluing ballast I use a 50/50 mix of acrylic matte medium and water with a drop of soap in a medium Elmer's Glue bottle for a dispenser.
  3. jim currie

    jim currie Active Member

    :wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: did you clean your track after using the spray glue ?
    I don't use a spray to set ballest after I get it like i want I spray a mix of water and alcohol then use thinned down(water alcohol mix) cheep matte medium and use a small squeze bottle to apply.
  4. eightyeightfan1

    eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

    Welcome to the Gauge.
    After "sculpting" my ballast, I spray it heavily with alchohol. Then using Jim's method of using a glue bottle, with a 50/50 mix of water and glue(I buy the big Elmer's 1 gallon for refilling the littlier bottle) and a couple of drops of Dawn. I dribble the mix along the top of the ties and along the top of the edges of the ballast.
    After this is dried, I clean the tops of the rails with a bright boy, and a small screwdiver, scrape the inside of the rails to break loose the pieces that may have been glued there.

Share This Page