help on which car, somewhat new to drifting

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by chromecarz00, Dec 10, 2006.

1. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

i am kinda a noob at r/c drifting.
    i currently have a traxxas bandit, modified and abt 32-35 top speed...
    i recently got bored, and my tires were almost completely bald, so i put some electrical tape on it...
    was a blasssst.....
    so, i want to buy myself an r/c drift car.
    i have all equipment, tools, charger/batteries, etc...
    im pretty good.
    i have a couple requirements;
    -4wd since thats the only one that can really drift...my bandit, 2wd, rear engine rear wheel drive...drifts but spins out more..its all good tho...
    -drifter body...but that can be changed
    -**carbon fiber chassis and parts! or woven graphite...basically the same...
    -preferably blue ionized parts...
    -thats abt it...

preferred parts if possible...
    -space for led setup, undercarrige lights, etc...
    -2 gears, shift on the go...not required...
    -ability to put on different tires to attain top speed..
    thats abt it...not too hard...
    - ideally id like to spend around $200, but more if necesary...
    thanks sooo much, i appreciate it...
    i dont mind getting a normal r/c car then just putting drift tires as long as balance and all is the same
    i already have drift tires with 12mm hex slots
    and im looking for an electric car, im trying to do research but htere arent any sites dedicated to the art of selling rc drift cars so yeah...
    but pls suggest.
    thanks...
  2. jareb

jareb Guest

any 4wd rc touring car should work fine. The tamiyas work great, and their relatively inexpensive. The yokomos and hpi are nice but will cost more than 200 dollars. Just find a kit that you can live with and suits what you need, Just changing to drift tires makes all the difference in the world, the kit and setup is just more fine tuning than anything. If you took two amatuer drifters and gave one a yokomo drifter and the other one a tamiya, youd be hard pressed to notice a difference in their performance. Just practice! If you need any more help just ask Im more than happy to give advice, Ive been around rc for quite some time now. Plus Im an Import nut, Nissans, Toyos, and Hondas.
  3. nic

nic Guest

yeah man, i am getting an s13 (240sx) soon... i hope. i love nissans.
  4. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

yeah, i love drifting, both on the small and the big scale, but i kinda got into an accident on the big scale so im waiting till i get a real car to drift in...lol
    believe or dont i was drifting in a benz, w/o handbrake... mostly swing-ins and throttle drifts...
    but thats a diff story...
    my ideal car would be the yokomo conversion kit at the bottom of the home screen and a novak brushless...
    but thats a little outta my budget ($700? thats crazy expensive)
    but is there anything else that i could get like that with a lower price?
    thanks...
    o n do u drift on the big scale?
    thanks...
  5. jareb

jareb Guest

hey nic that would be killer if you get an old s13, do you read any of the import magazines? Theres plenty of parts for those out and motors are relatively easy to find (compared to honda motors) plus you should be able to get a sr20det motor for less than 2200 dollars, then youd have plenty of power to slide that mo fo for days. keep me updated.
  6. jareb

jareb Guest

chromecarz, Yeah I drifted a few times with my friends 350z when I lived in phoenix, Im not a pro or anything though. I like drifting RC mainly because you cant get arrested drifting a 1/10 scale car, at most someone will just get pissed your on the street. I used to drag race my honda civic coupe here in ohio though. it was all tricked out. But for your RC question in my opinion the yokomo cars are great, but absolutely not the best choice for everyone drifting, The HPI, Tamiya, and Team Associated cars and all very good quality and drift the same as yoks do. Tamiya and HPI even have high end versions that are right up there with the yokomo cars. You would probably enjoy the brushless motor more than the LCG conversion. The brushless motors paired with lipo batteries are sick as hell, truly awesome power all around and very long run time. You could get the regular Yokomo drift car also, about 300 bucks, they come with body of your choice and drift tires already mounted. But the whole balance thing is pretty close on all the cars, my old tao3rs will drift right along any other car and it just a cheap tamiya thats 5 yrs old. this thing doesnt even have adjustable camber. I prefer using my nitro car right now though. I just ported my 3.3 and has so much power now. The car was overkill before I ported the engine.
  7. nic

nic Guest

jareb,

yeah i have a friend with an s13 and he dropped an sr20det in it. upgraded the intercooler and that is about it. he just dyno'd it at 295 hp, which doesnt surprise me. sorry about my mistake earlier, i am actually looking at s14's... the only problem is selling the car that i have now, i really dont know the best way to go about it. but as soon as my car is gone, i will need to find a 240 quickly.

nic

chromecarz00... do you live in nc?
  8. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

nic= no i dont, i live in cali...:D
    what car u got now?

jareb= thats tite, send me some pix
    yeah drifting over here is fun, i got some spots where i kno there are no cops, plus im friends wito almost the entire police department in my city, so i got hookups :D
    lucky me...
    u shud post pix of ur civiv...
    abt my question, u kno any carbon fiber cars...cuz i love that stuff, thats why i was eyeing the conversion kit...
  9. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

10. nic

nic Guest

chrome... i have my first car at the moment. 2000 grandprix gt. nothing wrong with it except the mileage, but it is leather and i guess "fully loaded". that tamiya looks like a great christmas present to be given to ones self. i just got my tt-01 in the mail and have put it together. now all i need is the electrics, you know, pretty much everthing to get it running. i cant wait to start messing with it.

nic
  11. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

thanks man...
    the grand prix if ukno where to look has good tuning opportunities...
    props for that
    also thanks for the advice...
    jareb, ur word seals the deal...
    what u think?
    (look in my last post)
    thanks
  12. jareb

jareb Guest

Are you down with the sickness?

CHROMECARZ I think your making a good decision, some of the guys dont like tamiya stuff because they use alot of soft plastic on low end models but they perform better per dollar then any other car, I bought my TAO3RS kit for 169.00 when it came out, the whole thing was plastic, but you could buy fiberglass or carbon chassis for like 40 and all the aluminum you could stomach for about another 80, that still made it cheaper than the other cars. and it ran with the big boys provided I had the same motor. now they offer their kits cheaper than that and the touring cars and drifting is getting much bigger than it used to be. My tamiya still has the stock chassis but its never failed me, the parts ive worn out on it has been tires and motors. Ive broken more stuff on the nitro car than I paid for it. but its super sweet with all the smoke and topend it has.
    NIC I think youll really enjoy that car, but now you and Chromecarz been infected with the sickness. and RC and Import cars will forever haunt you, You may spend late night flipping through catalogs or web pages, toil for hours tweaking and tuning your machines to perfection, go through girlfriends like toilet paper, spend countless dollars on tires and alignment jobs, But youll forever be a part of that great thing they call MOTORSPORTS.
  13. jareb

jareb Guest

hey blizzard I checked out the car your talking about, it looks like it would be fine for drifting, but I dont know who manufactures this kit, so replacement parts or upgrades may not be possible. check out tamiya website for 4wd 1/10 scale touring cars, you can drift any 4wd sedan touring car but having access to parts is very important if your even half way serious about racing or drifting, no name car kits are fine if your buying for a nephew or niece thats just going lose interest in an hour. The good kits like HPI,Tamiya, Yokomo,Losi,Traxxas, and Team Associated, are professional kits for serious hobbyists. Most of the drifters use one of the above their are probably 50 different manufacturers of touring cars out there but these are the most prevelent. I driven quite a few different brands and the quality is all pretty close on these, some just cost more than others or offer different styles or setups, as far as motors are concerned the stock 540 motors work fine in the beginning but youll definitely want to upgrade to either a modified motor or brushless setup, the brushless is the fastest right now but also cost alot of moolah. tires should be your first upgrade, try drift tires, the pvc or abs tires, or go cheap and try taping it works for a little bit.
  14. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

sorry guys, i kinda betrayed you...
    i didnt go for that.
    INSTEAD>>>
    i went for a traxxas 4tec with a novak controller and a 15t orion motor...
    graphite everything...
    not a bad choice eh?
    lemme know what you think...,pix up soon...
    blizz i was gonna get one of that for my friend, its sick, but as jareb said i agree with him...
    no parts...dunno upgrades...
    but its agood price for a fast car...
    if u want momentary cheap fun thats your car.
    bodys sick too..
    anyways jareb nic wat u guys think?
  15. nic

nic Guest

what do i think about which thing???

if you want to know what i think about your new purchase... then i will have to say that i have no clue what it is. BUT it sounds really nice, so good job with that, and i cant wait to see some pictures.

if you want to know what i think about the question at hand... then i will have ot say that i have no clue what it is. BUT if i were him, then i would go for a tt-01 or something in the same price-range, so you could buy extra goodies for it... i mean, isnt that half the reason why anyone has an rc car???

just my .015 cents.

nic
  16. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

17. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

im thinking of getting te novak 3.5 brushless. its a freakishly fast motor, but i think i can handle it :cool: . any gearing suggestions?
  18. jareb

jareb Guest

hey blizzard, sorry i havent been on here for a while, the traxxas 4tec is also a great car. I have a Nitro 4tec right now that I drift. it has the 3.3cc motor and a 350z nissan body. the car runs about 70mph on rubber tires and drifts like a mofo with proper tires. If you run a brushless motor the car will have insane topend and acceleration. Ive seen brushless setups that can smoke nitro car easily. Try stock gearing first regardless of which motor you use, then if you have plenty of run time and acceleration left, try increasing pinion gear size by one to two teeth, the Pinion gear is the one on the motor, smallest gear. so example go from like a 20 tooth to a 22. just keep going up until you get the top speed you like and a run time you can live with, caution however the taller the gearing you run the hotter the motor will run and battery life will suffer. With drifting it isnt about high speed anyways so you might be happy with the stock setup. My friends ta05 has stock gearing and a novak 6.5 turn brushless setup and it would smoke just about anything
  19. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

im

trying to get my 4tec up to 85. how would i? what motors and stuff? im making carbon fiber for the rest of the chassis, for lightness. ive lowered it as far as possible and all that. what else should i do?