Help on adding texture!

Discussion in 'Software' started by cabal_se, Jul 10, 2006.

1. cabal_se

cabal_se New Member

New and in need of some help please.

I’m trying to design my own card models for a game I’m developing so they are pretty simple straight forward easy builds. But even if they are simple I would like to add some real nice texture on them. And this is the problem. How do I add the texture in the best easiest way?

I use Turbo CAD to do the modeling, exporting it in 3ds format and then unfold it in Pepakura. Everything works perfectly except that the texture/material from Turbo CAD is not exported with/in the 3ds format. And Pepakura complains that there are no UV-coordinates when I try to set the texture.

So what to do?

I’m considering taking the resulting bmp-file from Pepakura and drawing the texture on it in a drawing program but that seems like a not so good idea.

Help, please!
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

UV Mapping

Hi cabal_se, You need to download the free UV Classic from here:

You'll need to save your files in the Alias/Wavefront .obj format to be compatible with UV Classic. This program "maps" the 3D geometry to a 2D texture map. The idea is the same as a function in mathematics that converts (or rather "projects") a 3D globe into a 2D map (only the other way around in this case). This mapping function is then attached to the .obj file format and is used in 3D modeling packages to associate texture maps with surface geometry. I like to think of the function as "this pixel in the 2D picture "goes here" on the 3D surface". The output of the program generates a 2D template (.jpg type) that can be used as a layer in Photoshop or similar packages to perform texture painting and a uv map that is then saved with the original .obj file. Once completed the painted texture can be attached by the "set texture" command in Pepakura which will then display it on the models surfaces. Sounds complicated but it really isn't..., -Gil
  3. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

You could also just texture/material the model in max. That's What I do. Max has a very good texture and material capability.
  4. cabal_se

cabal_se New Member

Gil, thanks for the tip, downloaded the UV Classic and got it to work alright, now I just need to learn how to work with it.

John, Could do that but I don’t have Max, and even if I had, it would take to long to learn that program as well, time being a very limiting factor unfortunately. But I see the beauty in working with just one program instead of fiddling around with three, four or even more programs just to be able to do a “simple” ;-) card model.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

UV Mapper Classic & Pro

cabal_se, Rhino is still the best 3D modeling software package on the market. The UV Mapper Classic will get you started so that you can start putting surfaces on your objects. I use UV Mapper Pro for doing uv's instead of the other much more expensive packages due to the fact that it does everything they do with a straight forward interface that always works (the really important part of any software). Steve Cox is the author of UV Mapper and is respected by many in the CG community and comes highly recommended by members in the Rhino user community. -Gil
  6. cabal_se

cabal_se New Member

I started downloading the evaluation version of Rhino 3D just to have a look since so many mention Rhino.

I use Turbo CAD since that is the program I have and can work with (reasonable at least), and it does what I want it to do with one small exception :) it don’t save in Wavefront format, so I have to use another program to convert it before using the UV Mapper, but that is alright.

I found a good tutorial to get things started so I hope a will be able to complete the first model soon.

So thanks once again for the tips.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Guys, I'm having a similar problem with Rhino, the texture doesn't seem to go into Pepakura. Will the method above work the same way for Rhino?

And also, which 2-D format can Rhino export while keeping all the colours and textures? I tried some but they were all exported as bare lines.
  8. barry

barry Active Member

if the texture does not show in pepakura you can insert it using the texture button in the 3d window. Click on the 3d model where you think the texture should be and it should ask for the filename of the texture.
  9. Sumato

Sumato Member

You guys may want to try a low-poly modeling program called Milkshape 3d. It is cheap to buy (if you choose to) and you can import or export into whatever format you can think of. It is really easy to work with, especially for textures. I have personally thrown textured models from this program into Pepakura, and it handles them just fine.