Help needed with Savage 25

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Cheeky Charlie, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheeky Charlie

Cheeky Charlie New Member

We have just bought a factory assembled Savage 25 and are attempting to run in the motor but cant get it started. After priming the engine for 7 seconds with the roto-start, we tried to set it running by attaching the glow-plug ignitor and turning the engine over with the roto-start. Trouble is, every time the roto-start is put in and started, it just locks up. It sounds like the engine is flooded so we've tried taking out the glow plug and turning the engine with the roto-start a couple of times to clear the engine. This doesn't appear to have made any difference as the roto-start still locks up when we try to start the motor. Can anyone suggest what to do???
  2. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

When you prime the engine only prime it tell you see the fuel at the enteresnce to the carb and then hit the primer 1 more time, no more after that because it will just keep flooding it. Make sure your hlow plug is good because it might have gotten fowled out because during break in the time the engine is running rich. After the engineis broken in you will probly need a new glow plug. Also is your glow plug ignitor charged, or does it have a fresh batt.? Is the fuel brand new or old?
  3. Cheeky Charlie

Thanks!

Fuel is brand new, bought this afternoon. Charged the glow plug ignitor overnight so that should be ok (when i took the glow plug out to clear the engine flood, I tested it in the ignitor and it glowed bright hot instantly)but I'll pick up some spares tomorrow. How do I tell if the engine is no longer flooded? I'm not sure how long to run the roto-start to clear any flooding as there's no obvious difference in noise etc. I'm going to re-charge the rotostart overnight so it's at full power and then try again tomorrow morning, I have a feeling that it no longer has enough power to turn the engine at full compression. To help this I'm going to loosen the glow-plug a quarter turn which is something HPI advised.

Fingers crossed...
  4. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

the engine will be no longer flooded when you tip the truck over and run the roto start and no more fuel come out of the engine. After this is done put the glow plug back in and then DON'T prime the engine and if the roto start is good it should fire right up.
  5. alisar70

alisar70 Member

one more thing

a weeks worth of savage 25 engines were not made properly
    so it will make some engine problams

if u still get problams like i did send it off to hpi
    or get a new engine
  6. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

Where did you find this out that 1 week's worth of engines were bad? How the heck out of what 2 years that the savage has been out that 1 week's worth of engine are bad lmao! Alisar... he wasen't haveing the exact problems as you I just think he need's to get the batt charged up and after un=flooding it he should be fine.
  7. alisar70

alisar70 Member

8. Cheeky Charlie

Ok. So I re-tried today with an unflooded and fully cleaned engine and the glow-plug 1/8th of a turn from closed. The motor ran for about 10 seconds and then cut out. Then it wouldn't run again, but it wasn't flooded. I managed to get it to run another time, for about 10-15 seconds but same result. Both times it started running it accelerated really fast, i think it even changed to second gear on the second go. Each time I moved the servo so that the engine sat at a steady idle (like it says in the manual) and both times it cut out. After that I couldn't get it to start again. I got some advice from my local hpi supplier and they suggested that I check the high and low speed nedles to make sure they are at factory settings. I followed the instructions in the manual for re-setting the low sped needle to closed but when I set it 3 fulls turns from closed, the carb wouldn't open or close at all and the servo linkage was about fit to bend... The carb opens and closes if I unscrew the needle for a few more turns but I'm pretty sure the needle is too far out. Any suggestions?
  9. gaz_r36

gaz_r36 Member

hi
    my bother has just got a hotbodies tornado and we have had the same problems but now we have it running
    take your glowplug out a then put it in 2 the igniter and test it an see if it glows all they way down the coils.
    if it is hard 2 turn over try and loosen off the glow-plug about a quater of a turn then when it is running leave your glow igniter on for about 15seconds then remove it then tighten up the glowplug
  10. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

When you have it in all the way it is tight so it won't make the carb move. On most engines the low speed needle (needle on the right end of the carb) Should be about flush with out ouside of it.
  11. Dj ? What is imao?
  12. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I had put lmao which means laugh my @ss off, just another internet lingo I guess
  13. Cheeky Charlie

All has been sorted, one of the factory needles was way too far in, car is now up and running and Steve is happy again, spent yesterday running it around the car park (very noisy) I want a plane now, that looks like super fun!!
  14. Cheeky Charlie

BAH its not working again!! Keeps cutting out as soon as you hold the accelerator, will work if you leave the glowplug starter in but I guess this sint good, anyone got any ideas???
  15. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

try a new glow plug
  16. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

after it starts leave the glow plug warmer om for about 45 seconds so the engine warms up to operating temp. Like monster said try a differen't glow plug and also it sounds as if the engins is running lean if you hit the gas and it quits. If it was rich it would have a slow spool up of rpm's. When ti accelerates does it go slow or kind of fast, I mean tell it dies?
  17. Cheeky Charlie

It was using a brand spanking new glow plug, we thought that might have been the problem so we switched back to the week old one but it didnt make any difference! The engine cuts out the second you touch the accelerator and as far as I know its still running really rich, pumps loads of oil back out of the exhaust and splutters alot.
  18. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

it could be then it is to rich so when you do hit the throttle the engine is getting so much fuel it dies out. I had this problem along time ago when I had nitro's. I only have 1 and its already gone just need money to ship it.
  19. redheat

redheat Member

Say 69 what are you planning on getting now? RED
  20. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

if you were talking to me, which I think u were I am gonna be getting a Mini T and then putting a brushless set up in it and then add sub c size 3000 6 pack. I am thinking it will be going over 65 MPH. It is gonna be a #@$% of a ride. For 149.99 plus 16 bucks shipping I will get:
    Brand new Mini T
    Ball bearing upgrade
    6 cell pack
    charger
    spare parts

Can't wait hopefully be sending out a money order forit tomorrow. God I love christmas, and my b-day is on the same day :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.