Help, need bridge ideas.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Help. can someboy (or multiple somebodies) help me locate n scale bridges. I have been surfing manufacturer sites till I'm bonkers in the head and can't seem to find anything even close to what I am looking for - and I'm not even being that specific. I have a canyon crossing that is approximately 10" across at the top (183 N scale feet) though that can be fudged several inches longer but not shorter. At this point, I'm looking for anything that can span the gap without any pillars coming down in the middle. I did find one by Heljin but can not find any specs so I sent them an email.... waiting. It looks like I may have to build several from scratch. WHERE do you people find all these cool bridges I've seen? Thank you!

inkaneer

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
TrainNut said:
Help. can someboy (or multiple somebodies) help me locate n scale bridges. I have been surfing manufacturer sites till I'm bonkers in the head and can't seem to find anything even close to what I am looking for - and I'm not even being that specific. I have a canyon crossing that is approximately 10" across at the top (183 N scale feet) though that can be fudged several inches longer but not shorter. At this point, I'm looking for anything that can span the gap without any pillars coming down in the middle. I did find one by Heljin but can not find any specs so I sent them an email.... waiting. It looks like I may have to build several from scratch. WHERE do you people find all these cool bridges I've seen? Thank you!

Well, first your math is off. 10 inches in N scale is a scale 133.3 feet. 183 N scale feet would equal 13.725 inches. Depending on the actual length, one could bash three or possibly four Atlas deck truss bridges together to span the gap.

jshack

Nov 17, 2004
:wave:TrainNut
Kato makes some nice bridges , if I remember there a little longer also,check
Walthers ,I have 6 total and I like them!Good Luck
jshack

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
TrainNut, my suggestion would be to use the Kato 9 3/4" span across the middle, then use a 4 3/8" Kato girder span on each side. You would then have a pillar on each side of the canyon and none in the middle. The pillars wouldn't have to be as tall since they would be on the sides of the canyon where it wouldn't be as deep as the middle part. This is a common prototype practice.

Something like this:

Attachments

• canyon-crossing.GIF
    canyon-crossing.GIF
    2.8 KB · Views: 179

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
simmilar problem

I too need a bridge. :rolleyes: I need an approxamate n scale suspention bridge. I know there will be modifiening but I need a starting point. It is for a two lane road to go over a canyon also, more specifcly the royale gorge.hamr

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Inkaneer,
You know what I did... I used the ratio for z scale (1:220 instead of 1:160). Ooops. Slight miscalculation.
Jshack,
Yes, I like the Kato bridges, however, I actually need 5 bridges in this one little area and am trying to break it up by using different kinds and I have already used two of the Kato bridges - one single width and one double width.
Jflessne,
Yes, yes, yes... I found that site and drooled over those bridges for quite a while. My end thought though was, "I can build one of those." That's when I came to grips with the reality that I will probably be bashing/building some bridges. Good luck in the garage. Here in Phoenix, my garage layout had some major track expansion/contraction problems with the temperature swings between seasons. In the summer time it looked like a drunk layed the tracks.
Papa Bear,
I like this idea of yours and will give it some contemplation.
Collyn,
My bridge findings were scarce so good luck to you in your endeavor with that suspension bridge.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Collyn: how long a bridge do you need? I have one that's about 54" long and has a central clear area of about 2 feet. Of course it's supposed to be OO or HO scale, but it looked really impressive when I had it on an N layout. Made by Hornby in the UK.

pnolan48

Jun 28, 2004
Bridges are not that difficult to scratch build. Most pieces are pretty standard and repetitive. With a good set of drawings and a small pile of structural shapes, it should take only a few evenings. These three didn't take very long.

14-H-BridgesFromSky.jpg
[/IMG]