HELP! My switcher is broken.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
I bought a switcher yesterday for the NSR and got it looking the way I wanted it too when it stopped running. When I checked it out, I found that the long spring like belt from the shaft to the wheels had broken (it is an older engine, but my son and I both like it). How can I fix/replace this spring? Or will I need to replace the entire drive/motor assembly? I had gotten it looking like an old, beaten up Alco switcher that had seen several owners before being acquired by my line, which was the look I wanted, and I would hate to have to make a dummy out of it.

Looking for help for NSR switcher 128,
Michael

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Switcher Pictures

I got an enexpensive Vivitar digital camera from Wal-Mart today. I'm still learning how it works, but these pictures should be good enough to help. The engine is marked "The Lindberg Line" on the coupler boxes and "Lindberg" on the motor, so I am guessing that is the maker of the engine. The spring/cable winds around the front two axles and them up to the gearing inside. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 128-1.jpg
    128-1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 115

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
picture #3

Once again, sorry about the resolution. I am still learning this camera. I prefer my 35mm SLR and scanner, but it takes too long and too much $$$ to get the pictures developed for me to wait! :rolleyes: ;)

Attachments

• 128-3.jpg
    128-3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 112

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Micheal, What you have got there is an "oldie but a goodie" a Lindberg Switcher:) Unless you are an old goat like me you probably don't remember them:D :D :D

If the spring did not actually break in two then its just probably just come "unhooked" Look real closely at the ends. You should be able to see how one coil will hook into the other. This was a common problem with this loco as the spring stretched out over time. Use some needle nose pliers to bend the last coil on each side if you need to.

Take good care of that one....its at least 40 years or more old.:) :) :)

PS: As far as I know there's no parts for this one anymore. You might be able to find a "junker" at a trainshow or swapmeet.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
NSR Switcher 128 has been repaired!

Vic,

Thanks a million for your help. Switcher 128 is back up and running. She may not have the prettiest paint job on the rails, but as long as I have her she will always be up and running.

As your reward, I hereby present you with two free lifetime passes on any New Southern Railway! :D :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks again,
Michael

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Micheal, So glad that the switcher is up and running again and thanks for the passes:) :D

Would you believe it.....I've never run into anyone who had the same birthday as I do until now:eek: :D We must be a "rare breed" LOL:D :D :D :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Michael:
The coil spring drive used to be somehat common. I have old Walthers interurban drives and Suydam brass imported interurbans that used it.
Just in case there are future problems: Does anyone know if the drives or springs are still available?
These drives were similar to Athearn's rubber band drive, but usually drove a shaft with gears to the axles.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
David, I haven't seen any in years and years. I'm sorta wondering if one found an old 8mm movie projector could you use the drive spring off it. Of course you'd have to cut it down. I have some drive springs for old 16mm projectors but they are obviously way too large in diameter. Check out these folks www.smallparts.com They have a wealth of stuff but I don't have time to look right now.