HELP! Must sell Father's estate kits, etc. How?

slpwendy

My father recently passed away, leaving us with a large number of HO gauge model railroad kits (unopened), engines, contollers, etc. as well as a HUGE number of Model RR magazines (in binders - '83-'06) Railroad Model Craftsman (in binders) and books about trains/railroading. Any suggestions on how I can sell these items? I have a list I can send as an attachment if anyone can help out. Thanks so much in advance!
Wendy

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hello Wendy and welcome.

My condolences on the loss of your father. Our Buy Sell and Trade foum is a place where you can post a list of items for the attention of Gauge members that may be interested in purchasing. If you have model train flea market events (check with your local hobby shops) in your area you may have luck renting a table. You might consider an ad in Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman. EBay, of course..... other ideas members?

Best wishes,
Ralph

jasonboche

Certain criteria will determine where you will want to list your father's items:

1. Do you want to make the most money as possible?
2. Do you want the equipment to go to good hands to ensure someone will carry on and enjoy the hobby shared by your father?
3. Do you want to sell everything complete as one lot?
4. Are you willing to sell each item individually? Can be painful if you have a lot to sell.
5. Are you willing to research accurate descriptions and disposition of the items in order to determine fair market value?
6. Do you care if you have to deal with shipping? Can be painful if you're not set up well for shipping.
7. Or do you just want to unload the crap, you don't care who gets it for how much, as long as someone gets it out of your hair?

You may be very surprised at how much these items are worth separately or as a combined total. What ever you decide to do, please put some thought into it if you believe your father would have wanted it that way. Check your father's will. Many model railroaders who reach their golden years already have a plan formulated for their model railroad estate. It is likely that your father had model railroad friends locally and/or nationally. I am surprised none have come forward with advice for you yet.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Wendy,

Just a quick counterpoint to jason's post - you may also be surprised at how little some things may be worth. For example, one local club near me sells back issues of a variety of railroad magazines for $0.25 each; much of the "toy" quality stuff (if any), as well as "unopened" sets, may be more valuable to collectors than to modellers.

I would also investigate if any of the local model railroad shops would sell on consignment. One near me does, and although they take up to 25%, they deal with the inventory and set proper pricing.

Good luck with your sale, and sorry to hear of your father's passing.

Andrew

Gil Finn

I am sorry for you loss.
Once you list them or if you put them on ebay I am sure I may want some structure kits and hoopers.

Again I am sorry for your loss. We lost out Mother in July after a short illness.

My email is steviequit@aol.com