Help Modeling in Rhino 4

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by GarageSymfony, Jan 5, 2009.

1. GarageSymfony

GarageSymfony New Member

I have been building models for a quite a while. I have recently bought a copy of Rhino 4.0 and decided I would try to learn how to design them. I have successfully created some little models but there are two things that am just not understanding.

1) Not all modeling solutions produce surfaces that are developable. Is there a secret to setting out to create a model that will have developable surfaces? Or is the old "Smash" function the way to go?

2) I have figured out how to put complex textures (like the markings, paint, and panel lines of an aircraft fuselage) on a model but when I unroll (smash) it the ENTIRE texture is inserted on each individual part. Can anyone provide some advice on this?

Thanks for your help.
  2. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Have a look here:

If the link doesn't work, go to the "Software in Cardmodeling" section and look for the Rhino thread (its at the top). There's a lot of reading but a lot of good info as well.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:,
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hi, I model with Rhino and have the answers to your question.

1, To get a developable surface you usually use the loft command, between 2 cross-sections. (or straight section option with multiple cross-sections. See how aircraft or ship hulls are designed to get an idea of its usage) This way the surface will always be developable. (extruded and planar surfaces also work by default) Beware that Smash generates large distortions and is not suitable for the purpose of cardmodel design.

2, Texture in Rhino? You can forget about that. UV texture support in Rhino is not up to the standard of polygon modelers such as 3DSMax, and they don't unroll with the surface. So the best option is to project lines and boundaries onto your surface, unroll them with your surface, and then colour afterwards in a 2D software. By the way, even if you have textures in Rhino, you wouldn't be able to export them.
  4. GarageSymfony

GarageSymfony New Member

Thank you

Great advice, thanks.

I was beginning to suspect that the textures were not exportable in Rhino. I saw a short tutorial on projecting lines and shapes onto the model before unrolling.

I am going to work some more on my models this week and I will post some screen shots for critique.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Please do~