Help! looking for HO Dash 9 -44CW

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Hello everyone, as you probably guessed, im looking for an HO Dash 9 -44CW in any road. I want the Kato version, not the Athearn RTR one. I have seen some on E bay, but im always out bid at the last minute. Does anyone have one they would sale, or know of a site where i could buy one? Thanks!:cry:

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Combat, i think there out of production now and have been for a while now. Im hopeing someone out there may have one or know of a place that still has some new old stock runs of them. Thanks!:wave:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
With Kato, you have to buy the locomotives you want as soon as they come out. Unlike other manufacturers, they don't do limited runs just to try to get modelers to make quick purchases when the products first come out. The company is family owned, and if the father, who is in his 70's or 80's had his way, Kato would never again produce another American prototype. He just doesn't care about North American railroading. He focuses on Japaneese prototypes. His son is a U.P. modeler, and likes American prototypes. His father lets him have the factory to produce American prototypes for just a few months a year.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I have a Kato C44-9W.(Thats what Kato called them)Smooth runner, strong puller, but noisier than the real one. Detail is excellent.
Unfortunatly(or in my case, fortunatly) it was undecorated. So I painted it like a New Haven GE U25B.
I bought mine as soon as They came out came out. I thought they were still in production, but hey...What's do I know.
Here's a pic.

Attachments

• C44-9w Medium Web view.jpg
    C44-9w Medium Web view.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 116

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Russ Bellinis said:
With Kato, you have to buy the locomotives you want as soon as they come out. Unlike other manufacturers, they don't do limited runs just to try to get modelers to make quick purchases when the products first come out. The company is family owned, and if the father, who is in his 70's or 80's had his way, Kato would never again produce another American prototype. He just doesn't care about North American railroading. He focuses on Japaneese prototypes. His son is a U.P. modeler, and likes American prototypes. His father lets him have the factory to produce American prototypes for just a few months a year.

What are these Japanese items they build then? I dont know I have ever seen them. :)

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
COMBAT said:
Maybe I am an idiot but I cant find a Dash 9 avialable on the Kato website. Are you sure they make them??? :)

The New Athearns are not avalable untill June..... Sorry :)

There is this.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH80897
Ahem, no. Some are out already.

CRed said:
Those Athearn RTR's aren't so bad really,they use the same drive as the Genesis I believe and if you want more detail Details West has a ton of them for that particular engine...

http://www.detailswest.com/c44-9w_info.htm

Chris
Again, no, its a new motor/drive train, the "hex" drive.

Thoroughbreed said:
The Athearn RTR's use the same drive as the BB's unfortunately. They just have the DCC board added to them.:thumb:
Semi-no/semi-yes. The hex WAS used in the most recent of BB's but the new incarnation is more finicky then the BB ever was.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
COMBAT said:
What are these Japanese items they build then? I dont know I have ever seen them. :)

I don't think they are sold in North America. Here in California, there is a very limited market for Eastern prototype models, and then about the only ones anyone is interrested in are Pennsy, New York Central, and some Norfolk & Southern. I doubt if there is much demand in this country for Japaneese prototype. He makes them for the home market. If we have some members in Japan, they might post some pics.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
COMBAT said:

I don't think they are sold in North America. Here in California, there is a very limited market for Eastern prototype models, and then about the only ones anyone is interrested in are Pennsy, New York Central, and some Norfolk & Southern. I doubt if there is much demand in this country for Japaneese prototype. He makes them for the home market. If we have some members in Japan, they might post some pics.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Kato makes those... Wow what a difference from what we get from them. I think the son has the right idea with what hes making with dads plant. :)