Help! How do I find value of tracks?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by log_man, Aug 10, 2005.

1. log_man

log_man New Member

I could use your expert advice folks! I just purchased a home with a complete set of model train tracks in the basement. I know nothing about model trains and want to find out how much they are worth. Where can I go to find out what kind they are? It's kind of a cool set up. It is set up on about an 11' x 11' table with multiple tracks, box car yard, bridge, mountains made out of some sort of foam painted to make it look real, and with fake trees all over it. I also has little manual switching tracks etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

There is little value in the track itself, but depending on the layout, how many and what kind of stuctures and the overall layout could have some value. I'm assuming that the former owners took all the trains and power packs with them.

That being said, now who could use an 11' x 11' layout? Most modelers would prefer to build their own, and even if you could sell it to someone, transporting something that large could be an effort. Depending on how old they are, the trees are probably brittle and won't make the journey. These are probably the reasons the former owners didn't take it with them in the first place and the reasons why you would have a hard time trying to sell the layout as well.

One thought, why not get into the hobby? Buy some trains and give it a try. Obviously there are a great many that enjoy it, there's a chance that you could too. You could come back here and we are full of advice and help.:wave::wave:
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge :wave:

ezdays has about the best advice to offer you as layouts have little value outside of the house. Built to fit a particular area and with the experience (or lack there of) of its builder left to haunt any who take it on, few people really want the trouble. Another alternative would be to find a local train club and see if you could donate it to a nursing home or youth activties center like the YMCA. Ther you'd get the best value for it as a tax writeoff.
  4. brakie

brakie Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge. :wave:

Well,you could run a classified ad in your local newspaper and see if anybody is interested locally as that would be your best bet..I would not expect to get to much out of it though..
  5. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Welcome to the Gauge.
    Keep it!
    Get started in a hobby your whole family can enjoy. Plus, if there is any questions, we'll gladly answer them here. You said it was a cool set-up.
    If not, the answers above are you're best course of action.
  6. GeorgeHO

GeorgeHO Member

If you indicated what city/state you were in, someone might be able to stop by and tell you what you have (HO,N,Z,S,O) and give you a better idea of what to do with it.

You could take some photos and post them.
  7. ausien

ausien Active Member

Welcome to the gauge, Log man, as others have said : why not get into the hobby your self? and if you have kids or grand kids even, its a great way to spend quality time together. and if you do, you`ll dicover that that layout is not finnished by a long chalk,
    it may have started life with someone elses ideas, but in no time it will change, and evolve into YOUR RR...have a good one..steve
  8. log_man

log_man New Member

Thanks guys!

I appreciate your willingness to help. You guys are great! My nephew has been eying the set of tracks and has an interest in them so he soon might be an avid follower of yours. I'll be sure and tell his mom about this site for information and help.

Take care,

9. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I'm fascinated to hear that some one simply left their layout behind! Did they also leave the locomotives and freight cars as well? Say, if you'd like information abut the kind of model railroad you have would you be willing to measure the distance between the rails of a piece of the track? That way we could tell you what scale at least you have (O, S, HO, N, etc) so you can talk about the layout in more detail if you do place an ad.
  10. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Also if it has two or three rails will tell us if it is ac or dc, generally applies only to O scale, but Marklin uses a similar system with small pins in the center of each tie.