Help Getting Started with NCE

RR_Son

Hi Folks,

I'm not really into model railroading, but my 65 year old father is. In fact, he's turning half of his basement into a Model Railroad as he's getting ready to retire. I've been helping him through some of the process, which has been nice working with my dad. So far we've gotten the benchwork all done, roadbed is done, track is layed (double main line). No we are ready to start installing a NCE Pro Cab system. My dad would like to meet and talk with someone about getting started on wiring the NCE system.

Does anyone on here live near the York, Lancaster, Harrisburg - PA area that would be willing to meet and talk and help us get started?

Thanks!

Lon H.
York, PA

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Lon (and father...!),

Welcome to The Gauge!

While I am a Digitrax user, I am sure you will be able to find someone here who can give you advice about the NCE system (although maybe not in person).

I think the key with DCC, as with any other "new" technology is not to be afraid, and to try things over and over until you are comfortable. It is getting harder to "fry" things (it is still possible, though ;)), so for most snafu's the cure is simply to reset the decoder.

Glad you're having a good time with your dad.

Andrew

Woodie

Lon,

I run the NCE Pro Cab and have no problems. It's very simple to wire up. Just follow the instructions. I'd give you a hand but I'm not really near your part of the world. Next time you're down in the basement, start digging. Keep going right through the Earth's core, and you'll come up somewhere around my place. :)

Firstly, perhaps try it out on a single piece of track. Say a 1 yard piece of flex track, just so you know it works, and send a loco up and down that one piece of track. Then hook it up to the layout.

Any questions, let me know. :wave:

Fluesheet

Lon,

You can also get online help from the NCE group on groups.yahoo.com. Do a search on NCE on the main page. This group is focused on NCE only, and folks are very helpful. In addition, you can query the archives for previous discussions on a topic of interest.

If you aren't familiar with mailing lists, let me know, i'll be glad to give you more information.

I recently switched to NCE and more recently walked my father through the basics - he's about your dad's age and caught on easily. NCE is known for relatively intuitive interface.

Matt