Help for unknown Diesel locomotive...

Chris74

Jun 3, 2010
Romania
Hello everybody!

A few days ago I bought some old stuff in HO scale, cheap stuff for fixing; there was an unknown type of locomotive - Diesel, I think. It looks just like this:

http://www.bahnbilder.de/name/einzelbild/number/498385/kategorie/Modellbahn~Spur+H0~Zuge.html

From the same source I know this blue loco comes from an old Piko-junior start set. Further investigations were unsuccessful wall1 I would appreciate if somebody can tell me what type this locomotive is. I'm not sure if it's German or British... some one told it's a British Class 02 type, yet the pics on the internet doesn't look so. It might be British, as its access door is on the back - a thing unusual for German loks, I guess.

Thank you very much,
Chris

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Chris, Hi ! The body of this diseasel looks very like the old Athearn "Hustler" - which IIRC was a "Plymouth" loco - don't remember the model designation. The chassis - I don't know, but this Pico has an American look - no buffers, as on the cars - "poling pockets" instead (circular "cups" outboard on the end beams)...but the Athearn end plates/pilots were molded with the body - they're on the chassis here. I'm just guessing without a pic of the one you have...if I could tell even then ! Or...if you have a LHS, perhaps someone there might help the ID-ing. Besta Luck ! Bob C.

Chris74

Jun 3, 2010
Romania
Thank you very much, sir! You just saved the poor old loco from being ripped off and robbed by its components - I will fix it now. It's 99% an Athearn Hustler, probably the chassis differences come from the production series - like more details on "Professional" series and less on "Hobby" or "Junior" start sets, locos, cars etc.
Thanks a lot!

Chris