Help for someone who is CLUELESS on the subject

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Jeremy Hart, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Jeremy Hart

Jeremy Hart New Member

Please don't kill me yet.

My best friend has purchaced a resturant with a train car as part of the dining seating.

I made the suggestion that he continue the train theme by adding a model train that runs in the men's room.

He liked the idea so much, he has expanded the idea to include running the train through a few rooms.

I have begun looking on the internet for train sets, etc. I now realize how ignorant I am on the subject. Normally, I would educate myself on any subject that I am unfamiliar with. I just feel like I am over my head on this one.

Is there any company out there that will design all the needed track and controller and engine/cars to fit a particular space given dimensions?

Also, what is the most popular gague? HO?

Thanks for any support and help

2. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Jay, the most popular is HO.

There are companies who will build to suit.
    Sometimes local Model RR clubs do this to raise money.

Grab a copy of "Model Railroader" magazine, there is a list of clubs in the back.

Tell your friend to beware of kids with big hands and even bigger pockets. The layout should be completely enclosed in plexiglass to ensure it stays where he wants it.
  3. Jeremy Hart

Jeremy Hart New Member

Ahhh, Plexiglass... I would be willing to bet neither of us thought about theft!

Thank you for that suggestion.

I will pick up a copy of "MR". I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have local help on the project.

On a side note. I am in CT, but the resturant is in central NY.

Thanks again.

4. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

not a problem, Jay.

As a former retail store manager, you always think about "shrinkage" first.
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I've seen model trains running in two different restaurants. Each was larger gauge (one O and the other G). I imagine the size makes them easier to see throughout the room as HO might be a bit small from a few feet away. Its also heavier and less easy to swipe! :)
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

And the next stop on the New York LPB expess is the men's room followed by a quicky in the ladies room,. I love it. :D :D :D FRED
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Jay, continuing Ralph's thought - the G & O Gauge are also less likly to derail. :)
  8. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Most the trains that I've seen in Bars and Restaurants have been in G gauge and they where running around the room above head height. I did see one Bar in San Marcos, CA, that had an N scale layout under it's glass topped counter.

9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

We have a couple of G-scale layouts at ABOVE head height, and they really do make an impact on people.
  10. Vic

Vic Active Member

As one who has been in on putting train layouts in three bars and two restraunts, my advice is to go with G Scale. Its heavy and reliable and can withstand the continious running under those situations. Its big enough to be seen easily too.

It must be mounted high enough so the patrons can't "mess" with it. Also keep it away from any area where cooking is done as grease from cooking fumes can be a problem. Don't try to use any kind of complicated track plan. Around the walls is the best route to go.

We did one in a bar suspened from the ceiling on plexiglass....Although spectacular, it was expensive, labor intensive and a real pain to maintain.

Regular maintance is required as smoke, dust and cooking fumes play havock on the track and wheels.
  11. N Gauger

Absolutly!! Keep It Simple!!!! Also, invest in a track cleaning car - it will help! There is a diner near here that run the track cleaners once a month around the display. Just because of the grease residue.

Also the fewer cars the better - figure each train to have 1 engine & 3 - 4 cars!!
  12. N Gauger

Jay - Is this a cool B-Board or what?? 9 answers in 8 hours :D :D :D :D best of Luck!!!!!

Thanks to all that took the time to answer so far!!!!!!!!!!

................... From this Mod :D :D :D :D
  13. Jeremy Hart

Jeremy Hart New Member

Absolutely C~O~O~L

You beat me to the thanks, but it is still warranted from my end.

I will look into the larger scale trains. Also, thanks for the info on the track cleaning car. Who would have thought there was such a thing?

Looks like I stopped at the right place to ask questions.

Thanks again, guys.

If there are any more cool little things out there like the track cleaning car, such as a car that will wash dishes, or fold the laundry, please feel free to let me know. :D

14. N Gauger

ROFL!! If there were such things - My wife would finally get interested in trains :D :D :D :D
  15. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Jay: from CT, you might consider a day trip (or a weekend) to Strasburg PA, (near Lancaster). I'm not sure what else they have at the moment, but check the Train Collectors Assn HQ, The Red Caboose Motel and their restaurant in a passenger car, and a number of other train associated businesses around the RR Museum of PA. I'm sure at least one will have a railroad in a display.
  16. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

There is a restaurant in Pleasant Hill, Missouri called (of all things),
    the RailRoad Cafe. It is knee deep in railroad items ranging
    from models of all scales, old photographs of when Pleasant
    Hill was a thriving RR town, large "tin" heralds of numerous
    railroads, etc. The crowning glory of this place (besides their
    "to-die-for" food...) is a G scale railroad suspended from the
    ceiling throughout the entire restaurant.

The owner told me how impressed she was with the company
    that did the installation (completed in one work day), and how
    many comments it has drawn since their opening several years

P-Hill (as we call it) is only eight miles from here, and we dine
    there frequently. If you would like, I would be happy to get what
    ever information I could on the installation. In any event, it is a
    great idea for a restaurant.....

Bob Hollowell
    Iron Goat
  17. Jeremy Hart

Jeremy Hart New Member

That would be welcomed information. Please don't go out of your way though. Rick, the resturant's owner understands that quality will take planning/time.

Thank you,
  18. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Be glad to do it ! My wife and I will be headed there sometime
    this week, and I'll get whatever information I can for you.

Iron Goat
  19. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

I have sent your information via PM, due to length. If you have any questions, please advise.

Bob Hollowell
    Iron Goat
  20. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Theres a station up in Grant, MI that my family usually went to on our way home from vacation that had a G scale train running around the top of one of the rooms(about 1' from the ceiling). If I remember correctly it was in a room that wasnt connected to the kitchen so would probably have needed less maintenance as far as the grease and smoke was concerned. They also always had a bit block with Mickey or Pluto on it that the last car pulled around to clean the track. I remember always loving to go to that restaurant mainly for that G scale train not necessarily the food :D Here's a site on the history of that Depot

Also down here in northwest florida theres a restaurant/bar called the Smokehouse that a guy has to separate doubletrack HO scale circles im not sure on the maintenance on it but i've seen it being run a couple times.