Help for a visit to Ottawa

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Well, I'm finally visiting my new nations capital next week!
My wife and I are going to a family reunion and are taking the train from
Halifax to Montreal and then on to Ottawa. While this "isn't" :) :) :) a railfan
trip, I was wondering if anyone knows of anything I must see, or of any locations I could sneak off too for an hour as I'll only have one full day free(ish) before leaving for home.

Thanks in Advance!

Graham

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Rail related things:

- public transit's "O-Train" - costs $2 and you can ride all day. 'Course, you don't actually go anywhere useful... ;)

- Museum of Science and Tech's steamers on display

- Smiths Falls Railway Museum (about 1 hour from Ottawa)

- Ottawa's old (or even new) Union Station(s). The new is a public place, but the old has been turned into a government conference centre. Don't know how far you'd get just walking in there...

- Several good local train shops (LTS's)

PM me and I'll provide some more details...

Andrew

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
In addition to what MasonJar has said, when you come into Ottawa from Montreal, you'll see a small bit of action from the train. Ottawa is now a small shadow of its former self with respect to trains.

In addition, you can always visit
Walkley Yard - home of Ottawa Central Railway (no trespassing)
Smiths Falls VIA (ex CPR station) if you go to Smiths Falls. There's usually lots of action there if it's a busy day. Smiths Falls Railway Museum is open (if you go, ask for me (Bob Moore) and we'll give you a personal tour (if I'm around).

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Thanks Bob,

I got this message when I returned so it was too late to take you up on the offer!.. As it was I didn't get much time but did manage to sneak a visit to the Museum of Science and Tech and look at the locomotives there.

Had a little time at Montreal but not enough to go anywhere and the station is lousy for railfanning *sigh*. Still, I may be visiting Montreal more in the fall and a trip to Smiths Falls would definately be on the cards if I do!

Thanks once again

Graham