Help: convert 1:72 to 1:50 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by billmcc, Jul 6, 2004.

1. billmcc

billmcc Member

Hi All,

I have a few ModelArt 1:72 scale aircraft models, but I have found this scale is too small for me. So, I would like to convert them to 1:50 scale. To scale up to 1:50, I think I need to print the 1:72 model at 126 percent. Is this correct?
  2. Maurice

Maurice Member

Hi Bill

Try 144%
    Going up take the bigger number (in this case 72) and divide it by the smaller (50)
    Downsizing, divde the smaller by the larger.

Cheers and welcome to the active side

(Mathematical proof available if required - - from Marcus :lol: )
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

You might find you won't like the result depending on your printer's resize algorithm. If this is the case I'd suggest using one of the graphic tools which gets mentioned in these forums - there is a tutorial on resizing with Photoshop on this site.

4. billmcc

billmcc Member

Thank you for the correction! No proof needed. Your math skills are much better than mine. :D

Thanks for mentioning the tutorial on resizing with Photoshop.
  5. Darwin

Darwin Member

Photoshop works very well for enlarging. I have taken Merek's 1:72 scale to 1:33 scale with little degredation of detail and minimal zaggies, so 1:50 should be easy.
  6. charliec

charliec Active Member

I use a slightly different variation on Lief's technique with Photoshop since
    I'm working from images rather than scans. I don't claim to be a Photoshop guru but this seems to work for me.

1. Cut up your image into "tiles" containing groups of parts. You can use the pointer (magic wand) tool to pull off individual parts as well but tiling works pretty well. Scale the resultant images and save as .psd (Photoshop format).

2. Create a new canvas of A4 size (in Nth America - Letter size) - cut and paste the tiled images to the new canvas and move them around to get best coverage. You may find some of the tiles are too big so repeat step 1 on oversize images. Remember to leave reasonable margins at the edges.

3. Each pasted image goes into a new layer so you can move each image independently by selecting it's layer. Merge the layers and save.

4. Export as .pdf and it's done.

7. mark

mark Member

i know thet to make from 1/50 a 1/33 scale i need to make its the 1/50 on 150 %
  8. billmcc

billmcc Member

I printed the (2) parts pages of a ModelArt 1:72 Spitfire at 144 percent and the results look good. No jagged lines or other noticeable distortions.

The page size of the .pdf file was US letter size (8-1/2 X 11 inches), and only about 75 percent of each page had parts on it. So, each enlarged page fit on a sheet of US legal size (8-1/2 X 14 inches) cardstock. No cutting and pasting was needed.

Hopefully, the enlarged parts will build into a good looking model.