Help . Broadway Limited Plastic AC6000 truck problem

I purchased a BL AC6000 - the rear truck seems to have issues as the last set of wheels ride just above the rail and derail on some of the tough sections of my track work.

Is anyone else running this model? Have you had issues?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I think if its a "tough section" of track, then its a track problem. is your locomotive falling in between the rails? you'd be surprised how easily a track can be bent out of guage. check your track and make sure there are no kinks, and that it is all spaced right.

The problem is present on flat and properly spaced track - the front two wheels are on the track and the 3rd set is not touching the rail - 1/32 gap or so. All is fine when you run the train forward except in a couple of bad spot (areas I plan to fix) that derail each time. If I run the engine backwards, the elevated wheels derail on every turnout.

Even if I press on the top of the engine, the wheels do not drop onto the rails. It looks to me like a bad design as the pivot point is between the front to axels.

I was hoping someone else had the same model and could give it a close look.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
still seems like track warpage to me. it can be really difficult to spot sometimes, even with NMRA guages. your turnout deal definitely sounds like what happens to mine. the switchpoints might be to wide. that, or a section of track is dipping down.

jbaakko

I had a problem with an Athearn unit that had a warped truck, it ran terribly, and had the same issue, 2 of the 3 axles did the work, the 3rd hung there. Never derailed, but had no pulling power as the gears were binding.

A warped truck sounds possible - jbaakko.

Thanks Green. I do have some track issues but there is so much evidence to the contrary - I have a bunch of other engines that run on the same track and everyone one of them - katos (AC4400s, dash 9s, SD40s) and P2Ks (SD60s) - run fine with all 12 wheels on the track. The horizontal surfaces of the two rear wheels on this engine do not ride on the rails at any point on over 50 feet of track - front and middle wheel sets are flat on the rails - rear wheel set is not inline with the other two - they turn while the others turn but they aren't doing any work.

I guess I'm looking for someone that had a similar problem and information how they resolved it - sent the engine back, fixed it themself, etc.

Anyone else running one of these new Broadway Limited plastic models?

jbaakko

If you just contact Broadway, they SHOULD take it back and replace the truck for you. They (from previous posts on other forums) are very good at replacing defective items. You might even be able to request a whole new engine, and they'll inturn, refurbish it, and resell it cheeper.