Help/Advice needed

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by scoobyandy, Oct 15, 2005.

1. scoobyandy

scoobyandy New Member

Please Help me

Hi, this is my first post and only second visit to the site, but think i will be spending a lot of time on here now, getting advice and learning all i can form you more experianced modelers. :wave:

I am just starting out, and have a VERY small budget to spend as just got my own house and got married.

So any advice that you can offer me will be very greatfully recieved.
    Rolling stock is not an issue as i have loads from when i was younger and lived with parents as had a layout in the loft convertion, but that was left in house when they moved, except for the locos and carrages etc.

So Scenery is my problem. Can anyone help me here,
    Sites to get items from cheap, how to make household items in to something usefull etc etc.

Thanks in advance
  2. Union Pacific

Union Pacific Member

hello and welcome to the-guage !!!!:thumb:
    I have only been modleong for 5 years and have found that you can pick up plaster form any arts and crafts store and soak shop papertowels (thicker than normal ones) in this mixture and drape it over *hardshell scenery (very hard and tough when done :D )

* hardshell scenery is cardboard strips stapled up and down and then more of them interlaced in the other direction.

I have not tried this and maybe some of the more experienced can help me out. take styrofoam (like the green floral stuff) and use a dremel or sandpaper and make this stuff into fine powder then spray paint( keep it moving untill the paint is fairly dry to keep it from clumping up) and use it as ground foam.
    that is just my 2 cents

3. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hi and welcome aboard!!!! Give us some ideas on what sort of scenic elements you'd like to create and we may be able to provide you with more specific information. For example, I know a search of our files will reveal a couple of nice threads on how to make cheap ground foam....
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Look at our new section on Robin Matthysen's structures. His main material has been cereal boxes (Corn Flakes, by the look of it) and you can't get much cheaper than that.
    There are all sorts of cheap things that can be used if you have a mind to it.
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

you can buy plaster of paris or wallboard plaster cheaply in large bags at any home center. It will work fine for harshell scenery. Cardboard from frozen pizza boxes, cereal boxes, etc. can be used to make all sorts of structures. All you need is a utility knife, a straight edge, some white glue, and a little paint and you can make almost anything. Also, search the paint aisle at the home center for a shelf of "screw ups" where the wrong color was accidentally mixed. Occasionally you find one that is a good earth color, and you can buy a quart for a buck. This is good for quickly painting the ground to cover the plaster and wood. For groundcover - you can use real dirt - just sift and dry it first, and bake it in an oven to kill any critters. Folaige and grass- a large bag of woodland scenics ground foam will go a long way - it is easy and cheaper than just about anything else.

6. scoobyandy

scoobyandy New Member

:wave: Thanks for the advice so far guys, Not sure on exact size i will be making my base board yet, i would imagine around 6ft X 4Ft, something quiet small to start can always expand at some later point.

Basically i have some building already so that not a big problem, i just need to make the rest, like ground cover (scater) hills and tunnels etc. also trees, i have looked in local model shop and they seem really expensive, can these be made cheaply.

If anyone knows of websites etc to get this from cheaply or even how to make home made cheaper i would be greatfull.

But any corners i can cut with relation to saving money i am glad to hear.

Thanks everyone:thumb:
  7. Union Pacific

Union Pacific Member

hope this helps and like they said "screup paint works" funny I am going to look for some today myself :D :p ;)
    I haven't tried makigin my own trees yet (*my* switch yard dosen't many trees so I buy readymade by woodland scenics since I only need a few.

Thanx, Ben
  8. trees

i know it sounds crazzy but its a once a yr shot so collect well you can..... ive tried liloc trees the flowering (purple) part ( as you notice im not a gardner lol) nock the flowers off let them dry for a few days and brush spray what ever works best put in box of ground foam your choice and tadaaa a tree ( you can also cut and make em more bushy)
  9. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Hi scoobyandy, welcome to the Gauge. :wave:
    If you click on the Model Railroading link in my signature and go to the How To page there are links to lots of sites that show you how to make all kinds of stuff. At least some of it may spark your imagination. :thumb:
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

There's lots of plants that can be fiddled a bit to look like a tree. Some of them need to be dried outside over the winter until they're dry and crisp. There are some plants whose roots look like trees. Hang around the local garden or park when they're taking things out.