HELLP RC IN TROUBLE

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

HELP my rc is in trouble
    It is an RS4 nitro.

The engine hops at idle, like from high speed to low speed high and low. But when I started it it was ok dont know why. Also, there is gas coming out of the muffler, a weirdish gas. Can you help me? Is there an air leak?
  2. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

COULD IT BE... im running it too cold? its about 6-8 degrees celsius air temp outside....
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

Do you mean like oil or does it drip then evaporate? Oil is OK, if it's spitting fuel it may be too rich. But with the engine hunting for idle, it sounds too lean. You could have an air leak or hole in the fuel line, clogged fuel filter, dirty air filter( makes it run rich), old fuel comes to mind.
    Check your engine temp, if it's that cold, make sure to run a hot plug.
  4. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Well, the fuels been in the fuel bottle 3-4 days..... howcome my engines bouncing up and down during idle? thats weird! i guess too cold. I don't think my engine has a leak. How do I check that I have a leak??
  5. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I just swished swashed nitro in the muffler to clean it b4 i went out today BTW...
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

What do you mean by bouncing up and down, is the engine loose?
  7. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

no i meant the rev bouncing up and down
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

If your not getting a stable idle look for air leaks. Idle adj. screw secure (not moving back and forth) carb secure (tight and good seal, check o-ring and seal with very small amount or sealer) replace fuel tubing (might have pin hole) pull out main needle assm. check for debre and seal with sealer. Backing plate, seal with sealer. If you have a pull start, check for play between shaft and bushing, replace if nesasary.
  9. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I can say, my rc engine+ aluminum pan is garbage total write offf now. Too much threadlock and over tightening has rendered my chassis/engine useless! I cant even unscrew the cylinder head, because i found a big air leak there. Worst of all, my engine mount screws are so tight, and ive rounded them all now cuz i was really mad. So I might as well save up for new racing chassis and better engine + 2 speed tranny........ its all good.
  10. bandit1

bandit1 Member

LOL, Cha-Ching!!!! sorry, had to do it! :)
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

Use a dremel and cut slots in the heads of the screws and take them out with a regular screwdriver. For the head bolts use a drill bit about same size as the threads and drill through the heads of the screws, then you can pull off the head and take the rest of the bolt out with pliers.
  12. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Yeah we have all been there before vette. LOL. If the slots dont work just use the drill bit on them screws on the bottom too. Also taking the tip of your phillips screwdriver and nippin' off about 2mm (on a grinding wheel or the like) will allow the screwdriver much better contact with the screw head. Just take off a litte and check the fit then a little more untill its perfect. That will save you screws in the long run and many headaches to come.
  13. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

-vette 7t9-Haven't seen if the info from Mastmec or Rockn82 helped you save your chassis? Hope you got it fixed. Let us know if the little tricks worked,O.K..:D
  14. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

I suggest the same as Mastmec, the dremel is a life saver!
  15. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

OOOOOOO WHAAAT! I saved my RC! Minus the engine, since the head can't be removed and fixed. But heres the story.

I was about to buy a dremel, when I realized I was saving up for a new RC already. Through a lot of self debate, I decided I was gona save up for a new RS4 type SS. Then, my mom showed me an ad for a damaged screw remover. So, I went and got one and we tried it out. It didnt work. We went to the store, and the guy told me I had to drill a hole in the screw first. Then, we tried what he said, VOILA, like magic, the screws all came out. I have a complete rolling chassis, except for an engine of course. Thanks for all your tips, but I guess I had to find out how to do it myself...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.