Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by roch, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roch

roch Member

Hello all,

Could someone plaese tell me what card modeling is? I know this may sound stupid but if it is what I think, I would like to try it out by building some "n" scale trains for my model railroad layout.

Thanks for your time. :wave:

2. mikew

mikew Member

Card modeling is, quite simply, building models from card. That is, using paper, cardboard, or "card stock" as the basic construction materials, as in your basic paper packaging such as a cardboard box. The things modeled and built range from the very basic (again, your basic cardboard box) to quite intricate, scale models of buildings, vehicles, and even figures. They don't tend to be as sturdy as a plastic and metal model of a similar item (such as the train models you use in your layout), but they can be just as intricate and in some cases more accurate, as the paper can be made to depict items that are smaller (or at least thinner) than most plastic models. Paper models have been very popular, particularly in Europe, and there are a wide variety of subjects available, both for free and for purchase.

There is a section on rail cars and engines at the following link (on this board) that may have some of what you are looking for, or at least a better idea of what is out there.

There are also several threads showing various models being built, and a few even showing the development of the designs, including a very detailed thread showing the complete development of a Type VII German U-boat that has recently been completed and is now available as a commercial product.

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

What year of trains are you looking for? I might be able to hook ya up with some samples :) Also what kind of complexity are you looking for? they will make good filler in a freightyard and what not :)

Also to clarify We typically build with heavy paper - not cardboard. Cardboard is used to supply internal strength :) Otherwise very good explanation Mike :)
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hi roch, I've seen a number of posts by you in this part of forum :) Pretty much everything was explained in the posts above me, but just want to add that I'd really want to see more trains modeled in card, I'd say it's another of those under-represented areas ;) We hope to see build from you soon!
  5. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

200+ posts in a month?! You have been busy. :)
  6. roch

roch Member

Thank you all for the input. :thumb: I am working in n scale and hope to build card model trains that I can actually run. I am not doing any particular era. I have more of a fantasy thing going on.
    I am a very slow builder and try to get things perfect so it will be a long time before I get anything built worth posting pics of.

Thanks again,

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

So you are really looking to build some shells to put over your train bodies - cool idea if you can get it to fit!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.