Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by jzman1969, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jzman1969

jzman1969 New Member

I'm just getting into the card and paper modeling thing. Was turned onto it by my brother and thought I'd check it out. I've done scale modeling for years, mostly the resin kits.

I've been researching this hobby for quit some time now and am ready to get started and am open to any suggestions.

I would like to get some advice on where I should start. I would like to find some free models to start with, don't want to spend money on something I might mess up. So any suggestions on where and what I might want to start on would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Welcome jzman, good to have you. There are free models out there of every description, so it really all comes down to what you are interested in: aircraft, armor, cars, sci fi, anime, ships, architecture, animals, the list goes on. A good categorized list of free models can be found here: 3D¯È¼Ò«¬ºô<3D papermodel net> That ought to keep you busy for a while. Have fun! Can't wait to see some of your work.

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Howdy Jzman! Glad you stopped by!
    I guess the best place to start is by reading the threads in different forums.
    You can learn a ton just by following along on someones build thread and watch how they do things.

When you are ready to tackle something, look around in our forum, "Internet Finds".
    I guess you already figured out what you will find in there.:mrgreen:
    Tons and tons of urls to free models of all kinds!

If you ever have a specific question about something, just pick out the most appropriate forum and start a new thread.
    I guarantee you will get tons of answers.;)

Walmart* has a pack of 110lb card stock for about $5 for 150 sheets.
    If you have a printer, scissors and glue, you have the very basics and can begin a model right now.
    I would also suggest purchasing a razor knife with a no. 11 blade ($6*)and a self healing cutting mat($12*). You will find them indispensable.
    A metal ruler and an awl or something similar to score with and some markers or paint for coloring edges, are all extremely beneficial also.
    You will slowly find that you "need" more and more tools for different things, but the above will get you going.

Eagerly awaiting your first pictures!:twisted:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.