Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Regie, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regie

Regie Member

Hi folks. I've been lurking for a few weeks now and thought I should sort of officially introduce myself.

My name is Regie. I'm an English Teacher and space nut from Yorkshire. Discovered card modelling quite by accident when I found the Mercury Redstone over at Delta Seven Studios. As part of the preparation for a school project I've built a few rockets and X-Planes now, including a four foot tall Saturn V - a real show stopper!

Currently working on Raplh Currell's Concorde.

The standard of my model making isn't really very high - I use them mostly to illustrate talks and lectures about space and avaition so nobody gets that close a look, so I tend to favour speed over quality.

Anyway, that's me. Getting ever so slightly obsessed by the idea of making some of the model rockets fly now - my next project will be a flying V-2, followed hopefully by a flying 1:48 Saturn V. I look forward to following all your builds - I have a lot to learn!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome!! Got a great bunch here and everyone is always super helpful :)
  3. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Ah good chap I am glad you decided to introduce yourself, a 1/48 flying saturn V would be very impressive indeed, we would love to see that, and don't be afraid to post pics of your models. I consider my models to be quite amatuer but I like to post pics that way people can give me pointers. Are you friends with David H, the guy from Malton, as I said in the Buran thread I have visited Malton, I was staying in Helperthorpe last year, very nice part of the country. I am a good old kentish lad myself.
  4. barry

barry Active Member

Tykes United

Welcome to the club. Someone from my favourite city look forward to the rockets.

best wishes

5. Regie

Regie Member

Yeah, the more I think about it the more ambitious I thuink it is, so I might start with a 1/96. I could fly that on a D motor and still get some height. A 1/48 will need more than one engine, and that's a whole other ball of wax. I'll keep you posted.

I have a few pics of my models somewhere. If I can find 'em I'll certainly post them up.

Don't know him, but I live in Harrogate, which isn't all that far away so who knows?:)
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

hi-jacking a welcome message to talk about flying saturns.

your story sounds exactly like mine, only after I found delta7, while I was looking for a 1:96 Saturn V, I decided to design one myself :).

I envy you being a teacher, It is one of my dreams to teach. I volunteer teach at the science center as time permits, but teaching full time will have to wait.

anyway to shamelessly hijack your thread, I submit a sneak peak of a new article that will be coming out at the http://lhvcc.com/egiftshop on flying a 1:48 Saturn V rocket:

should be just a bit over 3 lbs when finished and fly on a singe "G" rated motor.
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Hey, Regie, welcome to the forum. Guys and girls here are like a great knowledge-base database, and great friends too. You'll see.

Anyhow, please post your Concorde photos. I bet you model is going to a be a knock-out, because Ralph and Erik's models are great, and you seem to be a natural modeler (not everyone has a flying Saturn V on the things-to-do agenda).

And yes, also post photos from your class showing off models.
  8. GT5500

GT5500 Member

That is strange as you are both new members noth from Yorkshire and both posted on the 'Buran' thread, how strange. I am so happy now that there are more of us UK members is so good to see my favourite form of model making getting popular in my home country, long way still to go though..
  9. Regie

Regie Member

not even NASA these days, sadly... :wink:
  10. David H

David H Member

I'll own up, there is a secret Yorkshire chapter of fanatical card modellers... oh, did I mention we have taken an oath of silence. Sssh.

David H
  11. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Cool, can I join? I only live 6 hours away:-D
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I'm in Bristol, but I'm an avid fan of 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Does that count?

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  13. Regie

Regie Member

Last of the Summer Wine has <i>fans</i>!?

Love Bristol. Go there every year for the Comics Festival. Beautiful city.
  14. David H

David H Member

'appen so lad. Though that's West Riding and inter riding rivalry might count against you...

(FYI Ridings or thirdings were the Viking division of Yorkshire, 900AD-ish)

But until committee makes a new ruling your in.

Now to find a venue...

15. Hello Regie, welcome to this club,
    I joined not that long ago, and this forum is adicting, but there are a lot of nice people hanging around here,
    Did you read this tread?
    Air powered SR-71
    Mike Bauer is member here and has these huge(free dowloadable) models
    which can realy fly

Cheers, Billy
  16. Kaz

Kaz Member

David H
    I 'appen t' like Three Yokshire things, One is Yorkshire Tea, t' Second is Leon t' Pig Farmer 'n t' third is Gervais Phinn. Hopefully thats one per Riding
  17. David H

David H Member

KAZ, Committee Decision: APPROVED

Now Yorkshire Card Modelers can we find some Yoekshire related card models, winner is first to start a new thread...
  18. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I believe Maly Modelarz did a model of Stephenson's 'Rocket' since a replica exists in the National Rail museum it has connections with Yorkshire. I have also built a 'Flying Scotsman' model a while ago, this engine now resides at the NRM as well. By the way have you guys been to the NRM? its fantastic and since we own it is a country its also free, they have a Loco that is soooo big it made me scared to stand next to it :cry:
  19. David H

David H Member

Cool, the big one for export to China?

I like it when they revolve the turn-table and an itsy bitsy curator rotates the whole thing and a locomotive by turning an tiny handle.

But a new thread and give this one back to Regie...
  20. Regie

Regie Member

Of course, as a linguistics teacher, I have to challenge your use of the "t'" to indicate the Yorkshire accent, butonly because I'm a pedant. Yorkshire Tea is blended just down the road from me, as it happens.

Whereabouts in Cambridge are you? My In-Laws live down there. I take it you've been to Duxford? If not, go now! I was there this weekend and it blew my mind!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.