Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Timothy McCarthy, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timothy McCarthy

Timothy McCarthy New Member

Hello from Baltimore!

I'm just starting to learn about paper modeling. I've been building various simpe models in paper and enjoying the process very mush. My interest is in classical architectural models, specifically the Roman Forum. I also have long held desire to recreate the characters of Don Martin (from MAD Magazine). Another goal is to try to use business cards as a medium. Lastly, I'm trying to learn how to use Metasequoia and Pepakura so I can create my own models.

Regards all,

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Welcome to the funny farm, I am in Wilmington, DE,
    try to make the Paper model convention in Dulles this July, will be a good time, I can't make it, another conference i have to attend.

Hope to see some of your builds, and designs.

Any questions, just ask, we have lot people who can help you.

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Fester & Karbunkle, my two favorite characters! The printed word sounds in his strips are a phenomenal genius. Welcome aboard and most of all have fun!

Best regards, Gil
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Dawk.....pleased to meet you. Welcome to the zoo.
  5. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Tim.... welcome aboard..

.... BUT, please don't confine yourself to one particular type of model...... as you will soon see, there are models here of just about anything that you can think of.... or, someone can find them for you...
    ........ Bill

Personally, Tim, I don't think that you have to use "Metasequoia and Pepakura" in order to be able to create a paper model...just a pencil and a piece of paper!!..

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Tim,

Welcome to the forum. You are gonna love this. This place is like the A-Z of card modeling, anything you can think of can be made from paper.......... heck, even nuclear reactors.
    You will find yourself checking back here often, and by that I mean everyday. I never thought I would visit a website as much as I do this one, I was thinking last night, since I have joined here, its a tie between this site and my email which I check everyday, there is always something going on. And the ppl here are always ready to help with any questions you may have.

Anyway, again, glad to have ya here and welcome.

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)
  7. Timothy McCarthy

Timothy McCarthy New Member

Replies, etc.

Thanks for the welcomes.

The following should be read keeping in mind that I have only been making models for a month or so; so I may not be well informed, etc.

I'm currently reading the forums to get to know who and what people have been doing. My first impression is that aircraft is the predominate model type. That's not my preference but I expect that I will attempt a few to get the expreience and see if I can pick up a few ideas. OTOH, I've been pleasantly surprized at the models that are available. Makes me happy I decided to try paper modeling! But I certainly don't confine myself to one type of model. I just have a desire to make two types at present. After that, I can't say.

I've been experimenting with various model types. So far. I've build a number of the Cannon buildings, a couple of animals, a few HAKU figures, an automaton, and various robots. I quickly realized I needed to get a cutting board and a proper knife so I bought a small XACTO board and knife. As for paper, I use plain copy paper because I can print to it quickly but have been surprised by the wide variety of paper all around me, from business cards (I collected all the old boxes laying around the office) to paper pads of diffent weight, to various food packages. I've gotten good at disassembling boxes to see how they were made!

My problem areas ( :wink: ) are impatience, poor eyesight, cheap envelope glue, and a fairly low expectation for quality! :p But seriously, I don't expect to be able to produce high quality yet and am happy learning and the results so far have been satisfying. I give the models away to people and most of them seem very pleased, so why shouldn't I?

After the initial rush collecting medels I've decided to build what I have and then start the projects I'm interested in. If I can get my camera working I'll post what I can.

So happy to be here!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Tim,

I dont know if you have ever built plastic model kits before or not, but you will find that "hours of enjoyment vs. cost of project" ratio in card models is very high. Meaning you get alot for the little it cost.
    And yes, aircraft does seem to be the predominant topic here but, I can say with all sincerity, that this forum really knows no bounds when it comes to "topics" or "subjects" dealing with card models. Anything from cathedrals, buildings, bridges, robots, automobiles, spacecraft, ships, sci fi subjects, motorcycles, and anything else you can possibly think of including aircraft.
    There are tons of modeling tips and "how to's", advice on various materials such as glues, paper, and even the mechanics of making paper joints that move and are posable.
    I have been surfing the net for years, and I am an administrator in a chat room (unrelated to card models) and I have never seen a more helpful bunch of people than there are here in this forum.
    You stated that you generally use plain copy paper, might I suggest some inexpensive photo paper, its a heavier grade paper than regular copy paper and provides for great looking models. I have found that international paper makes a brand of photo paper that is inexpensive and works well.
    Might I also suggest that, if you enjoy buildings etc. that you try visiting some of the forums "commercial sponsers" like lighthouse model art and others. These companies offer various type models at really reasonable prices. (Very cheap compared to plastic kits).
    We also have numerous designers of paper card models here at this forum, some who have their own sites, others who "freelance", building and designing for their own pleasure. When you meet these people, and you will, be sure and check out their work, I have found that by seeing what and how others do things, you can learn alot that is helpful in your own builds.
    As you can tell, I tend to ramble abit, and just to let you know I am not affiliated with this sites management, I am just a person who enjoys card modeling myself, but, I have to give credit where credit is due, and the people here are great.
    Again, check some of the site sponsers by clicking on their ads on the home page, look around, you might find something you like. And, if you do, and need any help with anything, you know where to find it....right here, all ya havta do is ask and you will probably get more answers than you know what to do with.

have a nice day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (gw)
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

actually Greg, i feel kinda sea sick from all these ships and boats and dinghys.

planes, train and automobiles are what is needed here.

10. barry

barry Active Member

Show us a car then Rick!!!

Welcome to the nut house Tim.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy guys,

well I can say this, when barry opens a pandoras box, he does it well. lol
    Let him have it rick, show him whatcha got.
    Get ready for some off road trucks barry :wink:

12. scudbusted

scudbusted loopy lurker

Hi Tim Welcome I'm new here too! :) I mosty do flying ( an I mean they really do fly) missile cardmodels at the moment. Particularly Russian ones; but am beginning work on the transporters and other areas of rocketry and such for display. Like everyone else says- this group makes you feel right at home! :)

planes, trains, and automobiles?? OICHININI! If you're gonna build somehting GO BALLISITIC! I mean SERIOUSLY BALLISTIC!
    ROCKET ROLL! :D lol
    Eric :)
  13. Janusz

Janusz Member

Hi Tim
    You are just in the right place.
    You can ask questions, learn a lot and share Your own experiences, or admire other person´s work. This site is nice and troubleless and everything that I found here so far is educated and respectful.
    And what is best the greater amount of people here are real master modelers (I do not include myself).
    So welcome to the paradise and welcome to one of the most addictive hobbies on the planet.

14. gera

gera Member

Ciao Tim:
    Welcome. I am down here in Panama and you hit the right spot. Anything you need in paper modelling is here, specially the frienship you will find from all the guys and girls who make this Forum.............

Have fun with paper. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.