Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by timber, Dec 21, 2006.

1. timber

timber New Member

Hello everyone!

Of course this all started when I went to buy a train to go under the christmas tree this year. I picked up the Athearn HO BNSF Iron Horse Express train and I'm so hooked now. My son and daughter love it too so as a nice family project I think I'm going to do a 4x8 layout to start. It came with Bachmann E-Z Track and I'm wondering.... Should I move to another brand of track for the layout? Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks in advance! :thumb:
  2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hello Timber and welcome!

Ah! You've now officially been bitten by the bug! :) I haven't used E-Z trak myself (I use Atlas flex track) but I know some folks like it a lot. Others find it somewhat limiting. I'll let folks who have used E-Z track put in their two cents. Here's a link to some mixed opinions about N scale E-Z track if that helps.

3. 91rioja

91rioja Member

Hello and welcome to The Gauge :wave:. I too started out with the Bachmann track and set, but very soon graduated to Atlas track. I liked the Bachmann track because I could put it on the floor to run trains before I got my layout built. But, I liked the selection in the Atlas track better; they had flex track. Also, I had issues with the rails lining up with the Bachmann track; on my circular track it wasn't much of an issue, but I think it would have been once I added turnouts. I guess it all boils down to preference. I would much rather lay the track and roadbed myself.

Hope this helps.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The EZ track will probably stand up to a lot more handling than the more scale track (flexible etc.) but you are limited to the bits of track produced. I've read frequently that the switches (turnouts) are not the best design/manufacture or whatever. I use my loop as a test track/running in loop.
    If you are making a layout to please the kids, the EZtrack may be alright if you take care with the switches. You won't get a big layout on a 4x8, but a lot of them have been built.
    I use Peco flexible track with their switches. I don't use roadbed under the track, but many modellers do. You can combine most makes of track if you keep the rail code (height of rail) consistent -- the EZ is code 100 and its the commonest and largest rail size.
  5. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

I've had experience with Bachmann EZ Track... Back in September I bought a Bachmann Thomas the Tank Engine HO set for my little nephew and it came with EZ Track.

Frankly, I'm underwhelmed by the EZ Track.. It doesn't go together very easily-- Frequently one will put two pieces together and find one rail has gone over the top of the joiner on the next section, necessitating a disconnect-and-reassemble with some finger gymnastics to depress that one rail so it will slide into the joiner properly. The rails also seem to slide around if pressed too hard when joining.

I think Kato Unitrack is far better. It goes together much more easily and smoothly than EZ Track. My little nephew wanted to run his Thomas the Tank Engine, not watch me troubleshoot the track connections. :rolleyes:

To be fair though, the Bachmann EZ Track is definitely an improvement over the old snap track they used to bundle with their sets.

Anyway, for a permanent layout I recommend going flextrack, and for quick-and-dirty running (like around a Christmas Tree), go Kato Unitrack.

My $0.02.
  6. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Man does that story sound familiar!!! :) I started in a similar way just about a month ago. Not sure how i stumbled on the gauge but boy am i glad i did!!

A pictorama of how it started adn what it progressed to :). I was downstairs adjusting a loop for my youngest son. I've added larger radius turns becuase he likes to crank up the train and watch it go hahaha.

The bug bit me so hard the swlling still hasn't gone down yet hahahahaha.

Welcome, the folks here are great! they help out allot and help to point you in the right direction and save you some cash on top of it!!
  7. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

OHHH, let me tell you, you have been bitten and....THERE IS NO CURE!sign1

I have no experience with the Bachmann track but have been using Life Like's equivalent Power Loc track. It works well but is limiting in the fact that you have to go with whats available both in strait and curved sections. When my track plan is finalized I will be going over to flex track.

8. CRed

CRed Member

It happened to me too,my father-in-law gave us some old Bacmann stuff and my son loved it so I decided it would be fun to do something with model trains with my son.

I'm using E-Z Track and I have come across the problems others have mentioned,but with some determination and patience you can make it work.I thought about using Flex-Track,but I just didn't want to deal with cutting and laying down roadbed,gluing it down then having to glue down the track.Besides I'm doing this to have fun with my son,not make an Uber realistic layout that looks like the real thing when you see a photo of it.

As far as selection goes,if you use the NS with the grey roadbed it has a pretty darn good selection.There's curves up to over 33" in radius,all the turnouts,a crossover turnout,bumpers,all the straights and smaller pieces you should need.

I'm making a 5'x10' or 12' layout with a oval within an oval using 26" radius curves on the outside and 22" curves on the inside connected by crossover turnouts so nothing fancy.I may add a yard onto it later though.I'll get some buldings a bridge or two and the landscaping stuff also and hopefully it will turn out decent and my son and I can have some fun.

I say just have some fun and not worry about the little things,your kids could probably care less what track you use,and good luck with your layout.

9. rfmicro

rfmicro Member

The Bachman EZ track (Nickle-silver w/gray roadbed) requires patience to put together correctly the first time, but will stay together nicely. If your plans are to keep the layout simple for use by you and your kids then it will work fine. If you want to go for a more complicated layout with all the bells and whistles then transitioning to Atlas flex track (Code 83) and turnouts would be recommended. The track is inexpensive but requires a rubber or cork underlay, nails or pins to first lay it out, then glue to hold it down more permanently. The turnouts will be a lot more expensive using either manual or elcetrical switches to operate the switches.

It all depends on what you want to do. For fun with your kids over christmas then stay with the EZ track and keep it simple. If you want to turn your entire house or basement into a train layout, then go the Atlas route.

Have fun!