Hello y'all

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Gefahren, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Hi, I've been lurking around here for a little while without posting but I figure it's time to introduce myself. I found this hobby after researching an aircraft I was trying to model on my computer and I've been hanging around ever since. So far I have completed only a few models, a gun for a friends birthday, two aircraft (for actual flight tests), and NOBI's little T-55 tank.(which is in an excellent scale IMHO). I mainly do 3d computer modeling in Rhino, but now I think I can actually make some of my designs so I'm learning how to butcher paper properly. Well, some images if I can get them to work right.
  2. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

and a few more pics with the wingless aircraft too... (Yes, they do fly... and you can see from the wrinkles and abuse on them that they crash really well too)
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Your wingless models look a lot like NASA's M2-F1 and M2-F2 Lifting Bodies. Several years ago, I began an attempt at scratch building those, along with the M2-F3, HL-10, X-24A and X-24B lifting bodies.

Marvelous forerunners to the Shuttle.

For those unfamiliar with the aircraft, you can see a short piece with links to more info on the aircraft here: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-011-DFRC.html
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

Welcome to the forum. Good bunch of folks in here. Nice looking
    builds. Glad you came aboard the board!

Those lifting bodies look pretty cool. Do you plan on offering them
    out as downloadable? There are several x-plane folks (like me)
    who would love to add them to the collection, or hang them under
    a B-52! Hope to hear from you.

5. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

After I had built the computer models I realized that they did look like the M2-F2 and the X-24a, that's why I put the little cockpits on them. All I did on the model to change the shap between the two was turn the middle two formers upside down. Anyways they glide really well as long as you don't stall them, then they have a really bad recovery rate... I plan on making larger ones about 16 inches or so long with some improvements in shape.

As soon as I clean them up a little I'll offer those for download, the one that looks like the X-24a doesn't quite fit well at the back end and I need to fix that. BTW, they are not very detailed since I was going to be throwing them around.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Gefahren,

Welcome into the light! Glad to see another modeler that's so close!

Your work looks fantastic! You might have to give me some tips!

7. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I saw that you were up in Ridgeland, my brother is on RPD so I'm up there all the time.

Hmm, the only tips I can offer is don't try to catch the airplane if you drop it.... it tends to get smaller (crushed) :roll:

Well, I'll put a few more pics of the Lifting bodies in my gallery as soon as I figure out how.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Another Rhinoist! Excellent! Looks like you are putting it to good use, those lifting bodies are fascinating models. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Tim P
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.