Hello to you all

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by JLPicard1701E, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLPicard1701E

JLPicard1701E New Member

Hi there,

for the time being allow me to introduce myself as JLPicard1701E (more personal details will follow in time).

Suffice it to say that I work in the Entertainment Business (I am an actor and a director), with a keen interest in kit bashing and building any kind of model that has to do with WWII (1:35 scale for Tanks and 1:72 scale for Aircraft), Star Trek and other Sci-Fi subjects in any scale and in any material (styrene, resin, vacuformed and Paper Models, whatever comes handy...), as well as Real Space kits, from the V-1 and V-2 to the Ares-Orion mission models.

Alas, since I don't have much time to actually build them, due to my engagements, I appear to become more and more a collector, rather than a builder.

Yet, the day will come that I will finally have a break and ask myself what to do with my spare time, and there it will be: my piles of jobs to do.

I not only build just models, but I also plot scenarios for them to place them in. Perhaps it is my professional deformation in visualizing everything in 3-D, but I simply cannot have a model just sitting barely on a shelf.

It has to come alive, to live and have purpose.

I like to call myself a "replica builder", rather than just a modeler.
    It takes me forever to finish a project, because I am a perfectionist and when I set myself to build something, it has to look and "feel" as the actual thing. I make no concessions to this. Unless it looks as it could take-off, fire its rounds or simply leave orbit, it won't be displayed.

I love to impress people with my productions. The more people stand around and tell me how they have seen the real thing and they cannot make out the difference, other than for its miniaturized size, the more I know I have hit the right button.

It is like on stage or behind a camera. If the frame is off, it is off, if the scene is boring to me, it will be boring for the audience.

The only difference is that in movies and taped Television you can edit a lengthy scene and fix it in post-production, on stage you can adjust the timing of a scene or modify the viewer's angle as to make it more interesting. In Kit Models you have to hit the spot immediately.

In my humble personal view, since I am no pro, building replicas and dioramas in which to set them in, requires a lot of plotting, planning, historic research and material research, such as accurate photo studies and scale color matching (not to speak of dozens of weathering techniques).

Call me a freak, but that's who I am.

Anyway, I have theorized enough. I am glad to be part of your forum, even though I won't be able to promptly respond to all messages, should the case arise.
    I have a very busy schedule which does not allow me to devote too much time to group discussions. All I can do is, from time to time, answer individual messages directly addressed to me, as time will allow me.

Therefore be patient and know that I will answer you at the appropriate time.

Be well and have a great 2008...
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard with us :)
  3. JLPicard1701E

JLPicard1701E New Member

Thanks cgutzmer,

I am glad too. Alas time is a tyrant and I can only stay a few hours, before I have to get back to work.

Being an actor and a director can be very rewarding, but it also has its downsides (like never being in one place for far too long).

But it's an adventure, and I like challenges and adventure.

Be well
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Welcome aboard!

This is truly a hobby for the anal-retentive personality. Lots of things here to tear your hair out over. :mrgreen:

If you have any questions, you'll find lots of answers.

They may not be right, but they'll be answers. sign1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.