Hello to all

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by stantonjtroy, Feb 9, 2008.

1. stantonjtroy

stantonjtroy New Member

Good day,

New to the forum (and to MRR). Just thought I'd say hi. A little on me: I've been involved in most forms of modeling for over 30 years, except for model railroad. Then it struck me that rail is the one place that nearly all of my skills and interests can come together. I've been looking at N scale mostly as my space has been limited and this would afford me a decient layout with a realitively small footprint. I began collecting pieces to that end about three years ago ( loco, structures, rolling stock and such) and planing the layout. I'm just starting the actual build now.
    As a side note I may well be picking several bains in the near future. As I said, I'm currently geared toward N however....Just last weekend my lady and I took my kids to a trainshow here in Baltimore. All I can say is WOW!! Up side, she (my lady) is now hooked. Downside, in addition to the N layout I will now be building a Z bookcase layout for the livingroom, an HO layout in the basement and a G scale garden layout in the backyard. Many might say this is no downside but I think I might be a littel out of my depth. In any event I'll be leaning on many forum members for some time to come. Thanks in advance and see you around the forum.

2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge, Troy.
    Sounds like you have a handful there.
    I too went to trains because it combines lots of stuff that I love to do.

3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Troy, that sounds great!

For multi scaling...I frequently monitor ebay for Z-scale 0-6-0s and 2-6-0s to kitbash into an Nn3 locomotive. I have had n-scale. I have a bunch of HO stuff. I've dabled in HOn3. I have a Lionel set somewhere...a couple On30 cars and a porter...an On3 layout...and I'm looking at getting a garden scale 4-4-0 to kitbash. I suspect that half the modelers on here (whom have been modeling for long), are in the same boat!

Just be sure to set your priorities so that time and money wise...you get at least 1 of what you want, and not 5 partials. I won't allow myself to spend money unless it is directly related to my primary objectives: DSP&P On3, NKP HO, or a really cheap exception.

4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hi Troy! Welcome aboard! If you've had other modeling interests than model railroading should be a breeze and a lot of fun for you. Tell us what you're up to as you go along!
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I was in a hobby shop with my wife the other day and she started looking at the Z scale. Now, she already has O gauge, talks about G for the garden, bought both HO and On30 trolleys for Christmas, and got an HO gauge model of a 7 1/2" gauge prototype. And I have enough to do modelling in OO and HO.
  6. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I wish my wife was interested an any of the above :mrgreen:

She just says that she's glad she married someone with a creative streak :p