Hello from the newest member!!!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by O_HO_Nfanatic, Mar 11, 2005.

1. O_HO_Nfanatic

O_HO_Nfanatic New Member

:wave: Hello to all! I joined the site yesterday. I will be around for time to time. Right now I am on military leave because my wife just had a baby. I am going to hold off on posting a bit until I read around some. Here's a little about me:
    I am 30-something and an 18 year veteran of the US Army. I have a sizeable collection of post-war (1950's) Lionel, some inherited others bought. But for now that is all it is; a collection. I don't have the room in my home to do a big Lionel/O gauge layout. I do however, model N Gauge. and have a growing PRR themed layout in my house. Occasionally at Xmas, I will set up a typical toy-train type set up around the Xmas tree using my O gauge items to ensure some running time. When I retire from the Army, I intend to return to my home state of Pennsylvania. From there, I plan to establish a huge O gauge setup.
    I am a true hobby shop junkie. Not just because of trains, but also because I build 1/35th scale military models. I have even considered buying a hobby shop as a second career after the military.

From time to time, I may ask questions that seem novice or stupid. That is because first and foremost, I am a collector. My knowledge of wiring and setup are limited to what I learned as a child from my grandfather. I am interested in learning about advanced train control, DCC and others.
    Meanwhile, a hearty hello from NC.
  2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

A big welcome to the Gauge Fanatic!! :wave:

Our attitude here is that there is no such thing as a stupid question. We all had to ask them along the way, and welcome yours. :)

3. revandy

revandy Member

Welcome aboard, congratulations on the little one, You'll find the people here friendly, informative, and discover some of the best modelers around.
    Rev. Andy
  4. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Welcome aboard!
    Great lot of people around here, many great tips & How-to's, and members have an awesome amount of info that can be tapped.
    Congrats on the new little one, and best of health to all.
    See you around!
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Welcome aboard!! :) Like they said - ask any questions you want :) your Grandfather statement hit a nerve :) That's how I really got hooked on trains.. A friend of the family had a huge O scale setup... Just think - someday "you" might be the Grandfather with the trains!!

Congrats on the little one!!! :) See ya around The Gauge!!! Best of Luck!!
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge O_HO_Nfanatic. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Congrats and welcome to the Gauge.
    Don't be afraid to ask what you think are stupid questions. While you'll typically get really good information and advice, you're also likely to occassionally get some stupid answers.
  8. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Hey, a hearty welcome. Hope to see you around. This is a great place to share ideas, learn a lot and meet great people. :thumb: :thumb:
  9. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

:wave: Welcome Aboard The-Gauge :wave:
  10. rcline

rcline Member

O-HO -
    Welcome to your new home !
  11. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Welcome! Glad you could join us. Congratulations on the new addition to your family.
    Feel free to lurk or post as you wish!
  12. O_HO_Nfanatic

O_HO_Nfanatic New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I checked around yesterday and found this to be a pretty cool and informative site! I plan to post some pics later.

thanks again,
  13. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Ancient Model Business Proverb...The way to make a small fortune in the hobby is to start with a large one. ;)

Welcome to The Gauge :wave: :thumb:
  14. ausien

ausien Active Member

Welcome to the roster of the "GAUGE" FANATICN from the land of down under, your questions may sound a little stupid to you, but there may be someone out there apart from you that wants to know the answer to the same qoestion as you,, and as a friend of mine once said a thousand times, there are no stupid questions, only stupid poeple that did no ask...so ask away. and congratulations on the birth of your baby, and the your wife also... after all it was she that did the hard yards, while you did the long miles.... have a good one..steve
  15. O_HO_Nfanatic

O_HO_Nfanatic New Member

I quote:
    "a friend of mine once said a thousand times, there are no stupid questions, only stupid poeple that did no ask..."

We used to say that in the military over here; then you do two years as a Drill Sergeant and you find out otherwise!!! LOL

Thanks for the welcome
  16. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

As a drill sargeant, you were "reprogramming", all questions were stupid questions! Other than that, the only stupid questions are, the ones not asked, and the ones asked more than once! :D

Welcome aboard, and ask!
  17. ausien

ausien Active Member

In the military you are suposed to be stupid, only to make the realy stupid ones running it, look good...When I was in the service it was a case of two rules, rule one the officers are always right. rule two, in the event off the officers are ever wrong, refer to rule one... have a good one..steve
  18. mikanmart

mikanmart Guest

Hello ,folks

My name is Mike Morgan ,and I just this minute joined .
    You may be surprised at my reason for doing so ,but it was to get in touch with the poor bloke who was getting a bit desperate ,and wanting to pack it all in .
    Now I can't find the thread that he was on . Can someone please point me in the right direction .I was in the same quandary as him ,and am still getting over it . There is a way , believe me .
  19. ausien

ausien Active Member

G`day mike, and welcome to the roster of the GAUGE,:wave: it does not matter what your reasons are for joining just hope you enjoy your stay with us...:D

the thread I think you are after is "time to call it a day, by why me.." :( I hope I am right and not stearing you in the wrong direction...:oops: Also read the post from his friend.(same thread, the next post I think)... have a good one..steve:thumb:
  20. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Welcome aboard Mike!!! :wave:

I found the thread you were looking for, and then I discovered you'd already found it! Hope your support can help Why me. It's great to have someone as supportive as you on board.