Hello from Sweden.

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by hasse neren, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hasse neren

hasse neren New Member

Hi there,
    i´m from Sweden and my name is Hasse.
    I have build plastic models from when i where 14, i´m 56 now. I have allways build ship models of the U.S.S. navy, but in my days now it´s container, tankers and cargo ships. Mayby it´s time to do some paper ships?
    Regards Hasse.
  2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

3. speedless

speedless Member

Hi Hasse
    You will find many here building ships,so good luck.
    Im allmost neighbor,living in Denmark
  4. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Hello Hasse,
    Welcome to the forum and happy (paper) ship-building!
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

New Swedish Member

Hej Hasse!

Yes, it´s definately time to try out some paper ships! Welcome to our friendly bunch of paper cutters!
    I have a similar background in plastic modelling in my teens and I also used to build some very simple card models, mainly medieval houses from the Schreiber-Bogen publishing house which were sold at Wentzel´s hobby shop in Stockholm. I just turned 53 (and got a lot of warm and friendly greetings from my paper pals here at the forum, by the way!) so we´re about the same age you and I.
    The number of Swedes is steadily increasing here - Leif Ohlsson in Gothenburg (which serves as our connection to the German 'sister' forum Kartonbau.de) is probably the oldest member and a superb card modeller (mainly airplanes) and a very nice guy, in the same ripe age as you and me.

There are a lot of very fine card models of ships around.
    If you´d like to try a really fine ship, here´s a link to 'Sjöfartsmuséet' in Gothenburg and a free download model of the schooner "Isolda" from 1902, with rigging, sails and all:

Here´s another link to free ship models that you can try - Peter J. Visser´s 'Iceberg' link page: http://www.peterjvisser.demon.nl/links3.html

And here´s another link to a page showing a big model of the 'RMS Titanic', a model which is printed in a big book (available, by the way, from Amazon Books). I have got a copy and I can vouch for it´s good print quality: http://www.skotophile.com/quick-n-dirty/titanic/

There are also a number of amazing commercial paper ship models (both military and civilian liners) - you can have a look at Moduni in Germany, to get a hunch of the vast variety: http://www.moduni.de/index.php/cPath/10000000_10400000_10402001_10402030

I wish you the best of luck with this fascinating hobby - I got 'carded' in November, 2005 and since then I´ve been doing little else of other hobby activities. It´s real easy to get the paper bug - I hope you get infected too!

And if there ever is something you´d like to ask about, paper technique, models that are hard to find, or whatever you can think of, don´t hesitate to ask - there is always someone willing to help you along. Enjoy!

All the best,
    Bengt :grin:
  6. hasse neren

hasse neren New Member

Thank´s to you all, for your warm welcome.
  7. josve

josve Active Member

Heisann Hasse!

Nice to see other scandinavians here!!
    Hope you will enjoy your stay here!
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold Hasse! - you are in a great place now to get into bilding anything from paper :)
  9. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

Welcome Aboard Hasse! Give paper a try - it is wonderful to work with!
  10. hasse neren

hasse neren New Member

Thank´s again for this forums warm welcome to me.
    Yes i will try some card models in the 1/400 scale. There are some ships that are of different types, then you can find in plastic models.
    Regards, Hasse.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

"Oslyabya" Steam-ship Card Model by Digital Navy

Hey Billy,

What an incredible ship! This is card modelling turned into fine art.
    Really impressive!

By the way, I found this link to "swiftsword´s" home page, called Walden Models - I think this might interest you, Hasse (and all who are interested in ship modelling, of course):

All the best from
    real space & airplane modeller
    Bengt :roll:
  12. hasse neren

hasse neren New Member

Hi, Billy thank´s for your welcome, and Hejsvejs,Bengt,
    I have build plastic models for a long time, an have seen lots of build ones in my days. But i must say look´n at this card models they are stunning, hard to belive they are card models. Looking mutch better an many plastic models i have seen.
    Regards Hasse
    PS. Bengt, do you remember that you told me in an another forum some time ago, that i could build card models. Well here i´m. DS.
  13. Hello Bengt,
    You couldn't be more right, although I consider myself as an "airplane" addict, I've bought this Ross Winans model,some time ago it's a beautyfull modell, and the background information is superb..
    cheers Billy
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hej svejs, Hasse!

I remember vaguely - which forum was that? Was it Scale Models forum in the UK? Nevertheless, I´m glad you found your way here!

Is there any special model that you would want to build? I´ll try to help you if I can.

Bästa hälsningar (that´s Best regards in Swedish)
  15. hasse neren

hasse neren New Member

Hej Svejs (Hi) Bengt,
    I´m going to by the JSC-Gdansk card models: WILLIFT EAGLE, MARY ARTICA and ELBE HIGHWAY in 1/400 scale.
    Do you know where the best place to by them are, when you living in Sweden?
    And do you know any more modern merchant ships in ca:1/400 scale to bye?
    Regards Hasse.
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hej Hasse,

I have ordered on many occasions from http://www.moduni.de in Germany - they are very nice to work with and deliver relatively fast with very good cardboard protection for the models. You can order using credit card.

But you can also have a look at http://www.kartonmodellbau.de It´s run by Mr. Slawomir Wojcik in Germany - a small firm with many, many models. If you order here, you pay by an international bank transfer (IBAN and SWIFT/BIC codes) directly from you own bank account, and you have to allow for quite a bit longer time for the shipment.
    Have a good look at his long downloadable catalog! He has many fine models from many good publishing houses and he is also the cheapest.

Good luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.