Hello from Ohio

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ward Best, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Ward Best

Ward Best New Member

My name is Ward. I was very pleased to find this forum last week as I have just started my interest in paper modeling. I have done some paper models in the past, mostly buildings for wargames and a couple of fun things for my son's train set when he was little.
    I have decided to try paper modeling because of the amount of travel I do for work. I did do some science fiction writing for a while (and did publish a book), but I need a break from all that. I have always loved modeling and paper seemed to be a great media for me to travel around with. TSA probably won't get excited about some paper and a little white glue as long as I keep the Xacto blades in the checked bags. My other hobby of casting my own tin soldiers is not so portable.
    I have to admit that so far I am a disaster at paper modeling. I have been working on some of the free models available out on the web for practice. It is a good thing that paper, even card stock is relatively cheap.
    I hope to find support and direction here as I attempt to learn this art.
    I have average to decent skills with computer graphics programs and I intend to contribute as best I can.
    My interest is probably focused on the military with a specific interest in WWI aircraft. I am currently working on a Nieuport 17 model (I am on the third printing, ugh!) and I am planning on adding the support wires in silver thread, when and if I complete the model.
    This is a great site and I am glad I found it.
  2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hello Ward,

Welcome to Zealot! You have come to the right place to learn about paper model building. Our membership contains some of the best model designers and builders (that cover (most) every genre) around. All of whom are willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.
    So if you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

If you have any photos of your past projects, please post them (WE LOVE SEEING PHOTOS)!

You mentioned that you had written a book (and had it published). If I may ask, what is the book about?

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here and I look forward to seeing your work!
  3. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

Welcome Ward! Paper models will cause you to spend hours staring at pieces of paper and wondering how exactly they go together. (not to mention minor blood loss from finger nicks)

Would love to see your Nieuport, I used to build the plastic WWI planes years ago & could never get the support wires right. (and that was with plastic! Ok, I was allot younger...)

Regarding completing the model; to misquote Yoda, "there is no if, only when" :vulcan:
  4. Ward Best

Ward Best New Member

Actually, I am thinking the support wires might be a help in paper. You might actually be able to pull something into place that was a little bit akimbo. In plastic, you are committed once the glue dries.
    As for the Nieuport, I think I am going back for another reprint. I have over scored myself.

Thanks for the welcome.
  5. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

I am not sure of what scale you are building, but for Bi-Planes, build the ones that are around 10" or more long. Use formers.. A model without formers is really going to be hard for it's shape to keep. I also would recommend making a main spare for the wing by either laminating cardstock (110 lb.) till you get to 1 mm or using Balsa wood. You can crack that Balsa to get the right angle, then glue the crack, and sister it with a solid shape.

As far as wires for the wings, I would not suggest using wires under tension. Take some thread, and run it through some glue to make it stiff. Cut to length to fit them in their proper spots. Again, pick a model that has wing formers. This will make the wings keep their shape and give the glue a place to stick too. The glue, along with the formers, will form a frame like structure within the wing and give it strength. :)

This site has some really nice planes, upper left side, for FREE: http://www.modele-kartonowe.com/

Photo of actual model!

Władysław Zalewski's plane WZ-X in 1:33 scale (same site!)

6. Ward Best

Ward Best New Member

Thanks, been to the site and have downloaded them.
    For the near future, I may continue to butcher a few more the biplane models on Mr. Prudenziati's site before I take on these.